Two quick questions about connecting to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, May 22, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

1) If i connect my MBP to 2010 Samsung LED Full HD tv with mini dvi to hdmi convertor will i get 1080p picture. I mean full hd? For example when i play movies will they be Full HD?

2)Can i connect it to my 35" phillips regular tv. I mean i bought it back in 1999 and it was really good back in the day. Picture is still very nice but i can't find model. Anyways can i connect my MBP to it? If so how?

I want to connect my MBP to TV because i download movies and shows and all but 15" screen is not enough for them. For example i downloaded Spartacus: Blood and Sand 720p, i want to watch it that quality. Thank you very much for your answers.

p.s. i did research to find but couldn't find any. Don't attack me with MRoogle.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Then you can't use the #2 adapter (DVI to S-video)

5. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

+1

i think all you need is converter to hdmi, and it will carry both picture and sound now too.

6. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

sorry for being so ignorant but i have no idea about TV connectors and such. As the post above me said wouldn't it carry bot picture and sound with just one mini display to HDMI adaptor? And my Samsung LED tv has a HDMI input. So wouldn't that be HD? Again so sorry but i really don't know.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Both will be HD, no matter is it MDP to DVI and then DVI to HDMI or straight from MDP to HDMI. Check this thread for MDP to HDMI which carry both, audio and video.

If you want to connect it to your old TV, then you need two extra adapters anyway

8. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

ok so here's what you need

1 Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that supports both audio and video (see above linked thread)

thats it

Apple's laptops dont use mini DVI anymore, they use Mini DisplayPort which is newer. Mini DisplayPort on the brand new MBP supports audio and video so you can get them both through the same cable, and yes, it will be full HD
    your MBP will automatically set itself to the native resolution of your TV when you plug it in, just remember to go into sound in system preferences and select your tv as your output device

9. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

thank you everyone for making it clear. As for the 2nd question. Will i just get MDP to DVI adapter and DVI to Tv connector cable which Hellhammer gave link to the Apple site. And connect RGB cable's yellow end to that and the other end to the back of the TV? Is that it? It would be better if i connected it to the back of the TV with scart input. Anyway to do so?

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, but that adapter only works with your OLD TV, you need DVI to HDMI to get the best out of your 1080p TV

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816