Two Quick TC Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aedraste, Jan 13, 2009.

1. aedraste macrumors member

Hi, all.

So I've decided to purchase the 500GB Time Capsule tonight, but I had a couple of shameful newbie questions to ask.

Is it possible to connect a USB hub to the lone USB port? I'd really like to connect my printer and an external HD to TC, without having to deal with changing connections later.

Also, I intend on moving my iTunes library, at least most TV shows/Movies, to TC. I enjoy watching House, for example, as it downloads from iTunes. Is it my understanding that all 1.4Gbs will be transferring -to- my MacBook for processing, and then -back to- TC for storage on the disk? Would it make sense for me to do this, or should I just allow it to download to my MacBook and transfer it later?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No such thing. Ask away! (Oh wait, you already did.)

Yes, the TC will accept a USB hub and multiple printers and hard drives, not just one of each.

I believe that's fairly accurate, as it will a cached version on your computer. The connection between your TC and your Mac is probably not quite fast enough (unless you're running Gigabit ethernet instead of a wireless connection) to handle that much streaming data, so it'll transfer it at least partially before it will let you play it. That'll put some wear and tear on the internal drive, but should function fine. I don't think it's a big deal, but if you're not going to have the TC store your entire library anyways, probably would be best just to watch it then transfer to the TC for backup.

jW

3. aedraste thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick and thorough answers! I believe I know enough to make a somewhat educated purchase now!

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It caches the iTunes library on the computer? I've been using a Buffalo NAS to stream my iTunes music wirelessly without any trouble. Most movies work fine, too.

If you think about it, this is also how Apple TV works, or the old Airtunes, for that matter.