Two Really Quick Questions, Can Anyone Help ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xcrskim, Jul 30, 2007.

1. xcrskim macrumors member

1) Can my MacBook Pro get viruses/spyware/anything like that ? from downloading various videos, etc ? and if so, what program do you recommend to clean it out ?

2) How do you uninstall videos and software and what not ? Can I just drag it to the trashcan and empty it ? Will I get all my memory back this way ?

THanks in ADvance.

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

1) Nope. Not yet...but it's always best only to download stuff you are sure about. You don't want to be the first person on OS X to get a virus.

2) For the most part, you can just drag to the trash. Some applications keep support files in your User Name/Library/Application Support folder, but those are in the minority. If the application you install comes with an uninstaller (again, a small minority), it's best to use that instead of just trashing the app.

3. invasian macrumors regular

invasian

2.) You can use programs like AppZapper (costs money) or AppDelete (free) to remove all components of an installed program; Trashing sometimes will leave preferences files, etc. behind.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Your MBP CAN get viruses if you're running any Microsoft OS. With OSX, not so much.

As far as deleting I just always do a Spotlight search and delete everything that way when it's a program that I truly despised. But normally, just dragging to the trash is great.