Two Really Quick Questions, Can Anyone Help ?

xcrskim

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2007
1) Can my MacBook Pro get viruses/spyware/anything like that ? from downloading various videos, etc ? and if so, what program do you recommend to clean it out ?

2) How do you uninstall videos and software and what not ? Can I just drag it to the trashcan and empty it ? Will I get all my memory back this way ?

THanks in ADvance.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
1) Nope. Not yet...but it's always best only to download stuff you are sure about. You don't want to be the first person on OS X to get a virus.

2) For the most part, you can just drag to the trash. Some applications keep support files in your User Name/Library/Application Support folder, but those are in the minority. If the application you install comes with an uninstaller (again, a small minority), it's best to use that instead of just trashing the app.

invasian

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Houston
2.) You can use programs like AppZapper (costs money) or AppDelete (free) to remove all components of an installed program; Trashing sometimes will leave preferences files, etc. behind.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Your MBP CAN get viruses if you're running any Microsoft OS. With OSX, not so much.

As far as deleting I just always do a Spotlight search and delete everything that way when it's a program that I truly despised. But normally, just dragging to the trash is great.