Two refurb Macbook Pros - same price, diff specs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ekim Neems, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Ekim Neems macrumors member

I can't for the life of me figure out why these would be the same price or what the difference is!

2.66ghz: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC026LL/A?cid=AOS-US-AFF-FEED
    - No "lithium/polymer battery" in the box
    - 3 USB ports (does this make sense?)
    - LED is in BOLD at the top
    $1699 - refurb model # FC026LL/A

2.8ghz: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0G02LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA
    - Battery included "In the Box" on the right
    - 2 USB ports (seems normal)
    - LED not in bold
    $1699 - refurb model # G0G02LL/A

I called Apple and spoke with a sales rep and he was leaning towards a typo. But in general it seemed as though he really had no idea. Any suggestions? I'd obviously rather get the 2.8 at the same price if the specs are otherwise the same but I'm wondering if there's a fluke and they're selling the *new* model for $1699 or if there's something else I'm missing.

Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It looks like the 2.66 is supposed to be a 17", as those are the only ones with 3 USB Ports.

TEG

3. Ekim Neems thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that was one of the few possible outcomes. That's a really good price for a unibody 17 though - right?

4. Ekim Neems thread starter macrumors member

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...order it, you might get a great deal... if its not what you want/expect then call up when it arrives and tactfully complain it wasn't what was advertised...

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

it has to have a battery, I dont know why it says battery in the other one, its like saying "keyboard"

7. Ekim Neems thread starter macrumors member

Well if it's the built-in battery, it wouldn't be in the box. By in the box, they mean separate from the laptop. That's what made me think that it was a new one.

I'm almost certain it can't be a new 15.4" because they came out too recently, but if it were a 17" it'd be pretty great

8. bsolomonny macrumors regular

Let us know what happens. I am very interested to see how Apple handles mistakes like these.

9. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The old removable batteries are still part of the laptops and are not accessories that get labeled as "in the box". And you wouldnt get an extra battery with a refurb.

10. thing macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have also noticed the same thing, and I ended up ordering the 2.8GHz. I also called Apple and the sales person was not very helpful, she claimed that the two machines are exactly identical except for the CPU speed. The USB and battery thing seems to be the typo.

Looking closely, I noticed that the 2.66GHz is the refurb model "FC026LL" (you will see it in the URL and also if you put it in your cart). The 2.8GHz is refurb model "G0G02LL" and I found the same link stating FC026LL as "MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.6GHz /4GB" and G0G02LL as "MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.8GHz/4GB".

But there is definitely a typo there and therefore some room for discussion, you could argue that 3 USBs is mandatory for your needs and see what they do. I just need the computer ASAP so I won't be able to play the game.

Cheers,
    Thing

<edited: there was a typo in my post, hehe>

11. Ekim Neems thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I have learned the exact difference - the 2.66ghz is the Early 2009 model and the 2.8ghz is the Late 2008 model. Does anyone know if there's any difference between the two as far as chipset or any other little oddities? I think I'm going to just go with the 2.8 though.