Two same Macbook Pro with different Retina Display brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaddn, Dec 2, 2014.

1. aaddn macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    long story short: I got a new macbook pro but it has two little dents on the bottom case so Apple sent me a new one.

At this moment I have two Retina Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.8/512 in front of me and there's one thing that is driving me crazy: the new one seems a little bit dimmer than the old one, at maximum brightness! The colors on the old one seem more bright! I hate this.

How is this possible?

PS: Yes, I already calibrated the displays. Same configuration.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple uses different display panel manufacturers, so some differences in output are to be expected. I'm not sure what to say or recommend. It seems you like your first one better, but, you'll need to send that in.

I guess once the dust settles with that process call apple again.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

There is variance in every component.

Just about every electronic componenet has some variance in how well they work. Every screen is slightly different brighter, more colourlful, uneven colour etc...., every processor is slightly faster or slower than the average, every battery is slightly different the list goes on and on.

Apple have a quality control system that will allow the use of certain components as long as they are within the specification of what they deem good. Thererfore every apple device will be slightly different this is the nature of electronic devices and the nature of quality control.

I work in quality control, albeit pharmacuetical, and as long as something is within specification it will be used.

As to your dilemma just take the bottom cases and swap them over and send back the new one...

4. emporiky macrumors regular

I would not do that. Your serial number is on the bottom case.

5. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Leaves you with problem of

the serial number on bottom case not matching serial number of the macbook (asuming they still put serial numbers on bottom case of current ones)

and the one being returned the one they actually sent as the replacement but with the fault stated for the original unit.

dont think it would take them too long to work out someones been meddling Really wouldnt advise it

Edit - emporiky beat me to it :)

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

thats ok

Surely thats ok he wants the new serial number I suppose it won't match the one on the system though...

7. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Worst case scenario they could argue that as one of them is not yours, you've no business swapping parts around. You could then end up getting the return sent back to you and a bill for the second laptop.

Even outside of that, if it did slip thru the cracks unnoticed on return to them, you're going to have a machine that shows up as being returned to apple (based on the internal serial number) any time you take it in for a warranty repair.