Two serious, unsolved bugs - 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trubbles, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Trubbles macrumors regular

I want to start by saying I absolutely love my 15" rMBP (8/2.6/256). The combination of power, portability, battery life, form factor and OSX makes it the perfect computer for me. I value the ability to game on the go, as I don't get much time to relax at home any more, so Bootcamp fills in nicely. Overall, it's an incredible machine.

However, I'm starting to feel bogged down by some serious issues. I keep waiting for fixes from Apple, but so far nothing...

1. SMC problems since last EFI update (already almost 5 months and counting). Gaming performance suddenly plummets into unplayable. The solution is to reset the SMC, which simply involves turning the computer off, hitting a combination of keys, and starting back up again. Easy enough. However, when playing competitive games, and potentially having to reset mid-games, it's a problem. When I have to open Skyrim to make sure the SMC is working properly before I play League of Legends, it starts to be a real problem.

2. Shut-down delay. No matter what I have tried, shutting down OSX has a serious delay. It goes to grey almost immediately, and then stays there for as long as 30 seconds. This delay does not happen when shutting down Windows 7 (which is almost instant). I have searched around and tried a number of suggested fixes, some of which caused other problems and forced me to reinstall software. However, the consensus is that it's a bug with 10.8.2 and I will have to live with it.

I have called AppleCare and they have zero insight... They were not even aware of the SMC reset fix.

At the end of the day, this doesn't seem right for Apple's flagship laptop that cost me just shy of $3000 with AppleCare.

Does anyone know of a way to fix these issues? Or perhaps what causes the SMC problem so I can try to avoid it? I love my computer, but I am growing steadily more frustrated with the lack of fixes.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

10.8.3 is on the way (there have been multiple developer builds over the past few weeks, including one yesterday as reported on the Mac Blog on this site). I've heard it addresses the shut down delays.

3. robvas macrumors 68020

My Air had this same issue. Not a big deal since I almost never shut it down and just close the lid to put it to sleep.

4. bill-p macrumors 65816

Here's a third one:

Open too many windows (approximately around 20 or so), and Mission Control will start to lag up. The most noticeable effect is that audio starts to skip. The only fix is to start closing down windows until there are only about 2-3 left, then re-open Mission Control.

I used to be able to open a lot more than that on my 2011 MBP without any issue.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Is shut down delay a known issue across the board? It was one reason I returned my open box rMBP - thought it might be something with the rMBP.

6. robvas macrumors 68020

It's not uncommon

7. Trubbles thread starter macrumors regular

It's strange because it doesn't happen with Windows 7.

There was also ONE TIME where I swear the Mac shut down instantly. Aside from that it's taken it's time every single time I've reset it..

8. leman macrumors 604

I agree, this is really insane that they haven't addressed or even acknowledged these issues yet! This reminds me of the problem with the 2011 iMac and Lion, which was shipped with buggy drivers that caused random connection drops. To my knowledge, it was never fixed. That 'what? there can be nothing wrong about our products' attitude of Apple is something I absolutely dislike.

9. pedrofan macrumors 6502

I have written an app for boosting up the boot up. When I see that the boot up starts to be slow I just run it and it gets a lot faster. If you want it I can share it. Uh, and another one to automatically shutdown and go to windows (with bootcamp) without the "press option and select OS" pain.

10. Trubbles thread starter macrumors regular

Bump - because another 6 weeks have passed with no fixes!