Two Shot MDDs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DJLC, Nov 1, 2011.

1. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I'm wondering if there's any hope of reviving either of these two dead MDDs I've got. One is a modded dual 1GHz G4 (shipped as single 1GHz), and the other is a dual 1.42. Both of them have dead FW400 buses (FW800 still works), and I'm assuming the issue in both is the power supply.

The dual 1GHz will occasionally boot and also randomly turns itself off or on. Works great when it boots, but I can't be sure it'll still be running if I walk away for too long.

The dual 1.42 is back home, so I haven't had the opportunity to look into it. I do know we replaced its power supply for the same issue a few years ago.

Is there anything I can do for these two old beasts aside from buying two new power supplies @ $400 a pop? They've both already been replaced as every day machines, but it'd be nice to have them running on the network as file / print / media servers.

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Google or youtube "G4 MDD ATX PSU". That's the way to fix both of your Macs. Only limitation is inability to use ADC output on graphics card.

3. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

4. DJLC thread starter macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I'll give that a shot... ADC is a non issue; both have the OWC modded Radeon cards from the early G5 models to support CoreImage (or something like that; I don't remember), and those cards don't provide ADC power anyway.

5. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

Just an FYI, along with the PSU mod, i also did the G5 Nvidia 5200 mod to fit in the G4 MDD.

If you want, there is an excellent review of it on XLR8yourmac.com