Two SIM card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Garyhe23, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Garyhe23 macrumors newbie

Garyhe23

hi, I have a very basic question. If I buy a iPhone 6s from att website with full price:

1. Do I still need to activate the phone once I get it? Or I just need to incert my old att SIM card in it and turn on the phone?

2. Together with the new phone, do they ship the iPhone 6s together with a new SIM card (in the iPhone?)? I already have a att post paid SIM card, do i have to use the new sim SIM card (together with the new iPhone 6s) from now on?

Thanks!

2. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Depending on what model it comes from the old SIM should work. My old 5S SIM card is now in my current iPhone6.
    Why not call them if in doubt?

3. Garyhe23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Garyhe23

Thank you. I'm afraid different att rep has different answers, it is the thing they always do.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

It is better to get AT&T to transfer the service to your new SIM card, as it may be a newer revision of SIM that supports more features.

I made the mistake of moving a SIM card from my iPhone 5 to my iPhone 6. It worked great, but when Voice over LTE came to my area it didn't work. I ended up having to get a new SIM card to use VoLTE.

So yeah, transfer your service to the new SIM card. Might as well have the latest tech in your new phone!

5. Garyhe23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Garyhe23

Thank you friend! Btw, what do you mean by transferring the service to the new SIM card? Isn't the new SIM card already the same account number as my old SIM card?

6. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Att will update your phone type and IMEI automatically. You just need your old card is UICC-G type Here is how to find if you have this type of SIM card, grom Att website:

"
    Each SIM card has a unique 20-digit Integrated Circuit Card Identifier (ICCID). The ICCID consists of 19 or 20 digits that are stored in the SIM card memory and engraved or printed directly on the card.

The 9th and 10th digits of a VoLTE-capable UICC-G SIM card will be either 27 or 28. If you don't have a UICC-G SIM you can get one at an AT&T store. For help, call 800.901.9878 (611 from your AT&T wireless phone).

AT&T Business customers can contact their Telecom Manager (TCM) to obtain the appropriate SIM."

7. Garyhe23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Garyhe23

I checked my old SIM card, it is 27. So that means I can use my old SIM card with the new iPhone 6s? And I can just drop off the new SIM card in the new iPhone ?