Two smaller displays or one big one?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mleibowi, Jun 9, 2008.

1. mleibowi macrumors member

Hi,

I'm planning on getting a display for my macbook, and I haven't done a ton of research yet, but can anyone provide the advantages and disadvantages of getting two smaller displays (ie 2x17in) vs one 30" display. Also, could you provide suggestions as to what display you have, and which one you would get if you were buying one now. I don't plan on using the display for gaming- for work (ie spreadsheets, word docs), and occassionally movies, and flash.

Thanks.

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

if you have either a macbook or mbp, you'll only be able to run one display. Unless you buy some special connectors but even then, all it does is split the resolution and make it into one big screen and not two separate screens. Also only the mbp can run the 30"

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

The MB will do the 30", just not to full resolution

MB will only output 1920x1200 while the 30" native resolution is 2560x1600.
    30" does support 1920x1200 but it will not be the cleanest image.

the 23" CD has a 1920x1200 native resolution.

you would be able to use the internal display as a second monitor. there are stands out there that make this less annoying, but i highly recommend an external keyboard and mouse.

4. mleibowi thread starter macrumors member

So is the Dell 2408WFP compatible with a MB? What connectors would I need to get? Also, can anyone suggest a good blue tooth keyboard and speakers.

Thanks.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

pretty much any montier will work.
    Basically you want to run a display at it's native resolution. anything smaller and it tends to loose some crispness.
    2 seconds with google shows that the 2408WFP is 1920x1200, so yes it should work.

as far as connectors, you need to get a mini-dvi to dvi adapter it says a dvi cable comes in the box with the display, and your macbook has a mini-dvi.