two ssd in 2012 15 inch macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bill phillips, Dec 12, 2012.

1. bill phillips macrumors regular

whats up guys, sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, i tried looking around for some info on this but cant seem to find anything substantial. I just installed a samsung 840 pro 256 gb ssd in my macbook pro, i want to put a second one in the optical drive and run it striped raid 0 for fastest read and write speeds. Im hearing that the connectivity of the optical bay is only sata II and therefore wont work properly? any of you guys who are real knowledgeable on this stuff can give me some insight on this id appreciate it, thank you.

2. dannylillhtc macrumors member

dannylillhtc

from what ive heard, read and interpreted, the connectivity issues in teh optical bay were limited to the 2011 macbook pros and the 2012's have sata 3 in the optical bay. im no expert thats just my interpretation of what ive read around.

i too would love to know wether this is true or not as i too would like to do something similar

3. bill phillips thread starter macrumors regular

very cool. Thanks man ill do more research right now pertaining to the 2012 model then, ill let you know soon as i find out anything

4. bill phillips thread starter macrumors regular

yup sata 3 in both slots..good to go bro

5. rabidz7, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

It would work perfectly, but it would kill your warranty The 2012 MBP has a sata 3 optical bay.

6. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

It won't kill your warranty, though Apple certainly won't cover your custom drive setup. If you need warranty service, just put the original drives back in.

7. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I really doubt that you can actually put them on raid 0, on the other hand you should never use raid 0

8. dannylillhtc macrumors member

dannylillhtc

why wouldnt it work ? and why as long as you have a regular up to date backup of your data there is no risk to raid 0.

9. bill phillips thread starter macrumors regular

yes you definately can put them in raid zero. You just go to disk utility and and partition from there, and as long as your backing up all the time then theres really no reason why you cant do it

10. dannylillhtc macrumors member

dannylillhtc

thats what i thought, ive seen the raid utility in the utilities folder, so no reason why it wouldnt work just regular time machine backups should be enough.