Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I got my iMac Intel a week ago and I've noticed this problem. It happens everytime I open system preferences from the apple menu instead of from the icon in the dock. It seems to duplicate the system preferences icon. Is it supposed to do this?

You can also have both icons open simultaneously without any problems...

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 263

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Steve1496 said:
I got my iMac Intel a week ago and I've noticed this problem. It happens everytime I open system preferences from the apple menu instead of from the icon in the dock. It seems to duplicate the system preferences icon. Is it supposed to do this?

You can also have both icons open simultaneously without any problems...

Thanks
Steve

Definitely not supposed to do that. Try just completely taking out System Preferences from the dock and then restart, and then drag it back into the dock (via the Applications folder). I don't know if that'll help, but it's worth a try.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Steve1496 said:
I got my iMac Intel a week ago and I've noticed this problem. It happens everytime I open system preferences from the apple menu instead of from the icon in the dock.

Have you moved System preferences application out of its default directory (Applications, I think) to some other directory? Or even moved the entire directory to a different disk?

For some reason, many of Apple's own Apps only work 100% correctly when located in the directory they were first installed. This sounds like you have two different versions of the system preferences app, probably in different directories.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
mdavey said:
This sounds like you have two different versions of the system preferences app, probably in different directories.

Hmm, I did a spotlight search and it revealed this:
picture20uz.png

So I right clicked the dock icon and clicked Show in Finder...this brought me to /Applications. Then, I clicked on System preferences from the Apple Menu right clicked the dock icon, clicked Show in Finder and it brought me to the OS X install on an external HD??

Isn't the System Preferences button in the Apple menu only supposed to browse the main hard drive? When I use this system preferences (on the external HD), it makes changes to OS X on my internal HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.