Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Web video company Ooyala has published a new report (via AllThingsD) revealing that two-thirds of smartphone video viewing is being done on iPhones, despite Apple having only a 19% share of the smartphone market.

mobile-video-800x354.png
While the stats sample only Ooyala's service, the base for the stats is a substantial one with the company having 200 million viewers worldwide and 25% of all Americans watching at least one Ooyala video per month. It follows figures recently released by GoGo showing that 84% of in-flight Wi-Fi access is on iOS devices.

The figures also show the increasing importance of mobile video viewing as a whole.
There are more videos being watched on more tablets and smart phones than ever before. The share of tablet video viewing increased 110% in 2012, while the share of mobile online video viewing grew by 87% last year.

Measured together, the share of all hours spent watching online video on tablets and mobile phones grew 100% in 2012. Tablet and mobile video share grew from 4% in January to 8% in December.

As more tablets and smart phones enter the market, expect tablet and mobile video consumption to continue to grow rapidly. New Cisco data reveals that video will make up 66% of the world's mobile data traffic in four years.

Article Link: Two-Thirds of Smartphone Video Viewing Still Taking Place on iPhone

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Two-thirds on iPhone and one on android? So no one is watching on WP8?

Title is not fully correct

There is an additional chart that shows 68% iOS - 19% Android and 13% Other. So no matter if you're comparing directly to Android or the whole mobile market, two-thirds of video viewing is on is done on iOS.

However, this is where the title and the small article are misleading. The chart says iOS and the text in the description and title says "smartphone" which seems to disregard a sizable amount of tablets. I'm curios of the results of a broader breakdown to see iPhone vs. Android Smartphones & other smartphones.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This is a very common theme: iOS owners seem to use their smart phones as smart phones in much greater proportion than android owners.

It's interesting. I guess a large number of android purchasers aren't really looking to use smart phones in-depth.

I wonder where the usage numbers are more representative. E.g., texting? photo viewing? actual phone calls?

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
This is a very common theme: iOS owners seem to use their smart phones as smart phones in much greater proportion than android owners.

It's interesting. I guess a large number of android purchasers aren't really looking to use smart phones in-depth.

I wonder where the usage numbers are more representative. E.g., texting? photo viewing? actual phone calls?

Because the shipped reports don't show you a lot of those Android phones are featured phones and not smart phones...

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Didn't all the forum experts explain years ago that the iPhone will fail without support of flash and that flash is needed by most video playback sites? Also according to the experts, the screen size of the iPhone is unusable for video playback.

Guess the iPhone users are watching over and over the one or two none flash videos out there ....

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think these statistics boil down to 2 things:

1. Android has been steadily gaining market share in purchased phones which results in apple having a larger installed base than current purchases when looking at market share. This would lead me to believe apple would perform better in these type of statistics than in one that rely on current trends.

2. Apple ONLY plays in the premium smartphone market while android plays in both the cheap and premium markets. Apple does have cheaper phones but they are older premium phones and I think still have that feel to customers. I think the people who are more likely to do data intensive tasks are more likely to buy feature phones. If you use a lot of data, chances are your going to know a thing or two about phones, at least enough to want that flagship phone. You know some 50 year old who can barely use her computer isn't going to really know the difference between phones and will be more likely to go with a cheaper phone just because its cheaper (and probably will only use it as a phone and maybe read emails)

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
the article mentions only iOS - not iPhone ....

So do those numbers include all the iPod Touches and iPads out there? The headline says 'smartphones' - but is it really so?

Are there android based devices like the iPod touch (basically an android phone without the phone part)? My kids e.g. stream a lot videos on their iPod touches (or on the iPad) ...

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
There is an additional chart that shows 68% iOS - 19% Android and 13% Other. So no matter if you're comparing directly to Android or the whole mobile market, two-thirds of video viewing is on is done on iOS.

However, this is where the title and the small article are misleading. The chart says iOS and the text in the description and title says "smartphone" which seems to disregard a sizable amount of tablets. I'm curios of the results of a broader breakdown to see iPhone vs. Android Smartphones & other smartphones.

Actually, that second chart is mobile market share, with android having 68% of the market and iPhone 19%

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It seems interesting to me that everyone screams that we need a bigger iPhone screen to compete with the behemoths in the android world. Yet study after study continues to show that people actually USE the iPhone screen. Maybe it's not about the screen size afterall.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I seriously question the legitimacy of those figures.

Why would anyone prefer to watch a video on a device with such a tiny screen when there are bigger screened phones with ore features and a much better overall user experience?

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I seriously question the legitimacy of those figures.

Why would anyone prefer to watch a video on a device with such a tiny screen when there are bigger screened phones with ore features and a much better overall user experience?

Why, indeed? That's a good question to ask yourself.

You may also want to question the assumptions your opinions are based on rather than just the legitimacy of these numbers. These numbers are consistent with a long standing trend that show iOS device owners use their devices a lot more than android device owners (generally). It's not so easy to dismiss when it's part of a larger pattern. Other posters in this thread have put forward some pretty decent reasons why this might be so.

BTW, I really don't think this is an iOS good; Android b bad thing.
It's just interesting. Well, it is to me anyway: I've got a business interest in iOS and Android and it means dollars in my pocket (or no dollars in my pocket) if I can understand the differences between these two user markets.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Wait, I thought iPhone's display is not big enough to watch videos. At least according to Android fanboys...

And apparently they are the only ones who say so. :apple:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It’s because of all the low-end androids - They suck so badly that the users won’t even purchase a data plan for them, let alone try to browse the web. I reckon the usage would be more even if only flagships were counted.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Didn't all the forum experts explain years ago that the iPhone will fail without support of flash and that flash is needed by most video playback sites? Also according to the experts, the screen size of the iPhone is unusable for video playback.

Guess the iPhone users are watching over and over the one or two none flash videos out there ....

Well, they also say that iPhone is just a toy, only suitable for silly things like....watching dumb videos.

It's complex when you're a troll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.