Two Time Capsule Backups??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hawkeye411, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I'm not sure why I thought of this but ... if someone were to break into my house and steal my MBP, they would probably take my Time Capsule backup as well. Now that wouldn't be good at all!!

If I set up a Time Capsule at work and a second one at home, will my MBP sync with each of them? Then I would have 2 copies of my system in 2 different locations.

Thanks.

2. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I think you need to stop worrying. Though there are options for online backups but it is extremely slow trying to get your data downloaded.

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I just got one for home and I already have one in my office. I'll set this up in the next few days and let you know.

For me it has less to do with stealing and more to do with the fact that a week's work is worth way more than one Time Capsule, but sometimes I work at home and sometimes I work in my office. I need a reliable back-up of my work at all times.

5. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I also work from home and the office and I agree that my data is worth more than a Time Capsule.

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers.

6. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

It will take a bit before I have a good answer. I just got the one at home started up, but the network name is different than the one at work. I have the option in the Time Capsule preferences to "change disks" and I could presumably do this whenever I switch locations, but I'd like something automatic. I'll try renaming the home network to match work and see if that makes any difference. My guess is that it won't. Stay tuned...

7. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

Of course you can. As many as you want and anywhere. Only thing to watch for is that you will need to select the require TM volume BEFORE you kick off the TM backup. Of course, it will fail if the volume is not there. (ie if you do this at work and then tried to do TM backup at home, it will not find the office volume and it will fail. So select the home volume and you are set. :apple:

You might want to use a USB disk or FW800 disk to backup the second one rather than buying another TC. Cheaper and way faster. But another device to connect and disconnect!.
    ;)

8. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I think you can encrypt your drives in case of your machine is stolen, plus an image disk on a spare drive with SuperDuper. Put this drive in a secure place key locked...

9. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

In an attempt to make it automatically find each Time Capsule without having to switch the drive in Preferences I named each network the same with the same password, but that didn't work.

I'll note the name of the disk image while at work today and I'll see if it will work if they are both named the same. If that doesn't work then I'll try to copy the disk image from work to home. If that doesn't work I might give up and simply switch disks according to my location. That might be scriptable. If anyone else has another idea let me know.

10. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

I'm a satisfied user of Crashplan, especially since the basic version is now free (ad-supported).

After my last laptop drive crash, I'm now using both Time Machine and Crashplan to complement each other (TM for USB drive, CP for network backup). If you have access to a remote machine connected to the Internet, you can easily set up a remote backup location under your own control.

Good luck.

11. Gaelinic macrumors regular

Can you connect an FW800 disk to a Time Capsule and access it wirelessly? Apple told me that other external hard drives can be plugged into Time Capsule's USB drive and can be accessed over the network. I just want to confirm with others. I'm not too confident with an Apple employee's technical knowledge of their products.

If so, can Time Machine access this other external hard drive as well?

Thanks.

12. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

No. The Time Capsule only has ethernet and a USB port. What's the point though? You are going from the speed of F800 to wireless and there is already a drive in the Time Capsule. Most F800 drives also have USB though so you could do that, but again this is such a waste of an expensive enclosure and Time Capsule just to do backups when you could just get an AEBS with a USB enclosure and do the same thing.

I recommend just using a firewire drive and plugging it in once a day at work to keep it backed up or a relatively cheap OWC firewire combo enclosure that is portable and doesn't require AC. I'm not sure if your MBP has F800 but if it does you should use it.