Two Time Capsules, One Network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Squelch, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Squelch macrumors member

Howdy,

I'm getting ready to split my household for a year, (wife's going to school 1,000 miles away) and I want to give her a good backup solution for her MacBook. Right now I've got a 500GB Time Capsule running our network with her MacBook, my MacBook Air, and an old 12" Powerbook sharing the TC drive.

I can cobble together an AEBS and a 500GB USB drive to make a homegrown Time Capsule for $291.97 shipped. Or I can buy another 500GB TC for $299, knowing it will work as planned. (We had some initial problems, but sorted them out and now the TC is awesome.)

My question is, in a year when we're living together again, am I going to have a use for two Time Capsules? Can one be set up as a bridge and just share the drive, as sort of a NAS? If not, then I might as well just get the AEBS and USB drive, then I'll have those two components later.

Thanks for your help.

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I think it should be possible.

Read this:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Designing_AirPort_Networks_10.5-Windows.pdf

Check out page 40 on roaming.

-Kevin

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Won't you be in the same position with an AEBS in a year of having a "useless" AEBS? In a year, set up the second TC as a bridge and don't use the drive for Time Machine, but just as NAS, which it can do anyway.

4. TheDane macrumors member

TheDane

Hi,

did you succeed in having one TC as router and another as extender?

5. mbestel macrumors member

Other option?

Maybe you could run this on the powerbook with an external drive backups?

http://www.netrev.com.au/

You could probably run the rest of the network stuff on the powerbook to, unless you actually use it for something else.

Might work as a temporary measure.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark