Two Time Machine drives?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cameronjpu, Jun 18, 2012.

1. cameronjpu, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

cameronjpu macrumors 65816

So I'd like to use TM to simulate an old fashioned tape drive type setup, where there is more than one drive, and one is always off-site and the other on site. Is it possible to do this with TM? From what I remember, if I plug in a new drive to a system that already is configured for TM, the computer will not ask me if I want to make it the TM drive. I'd have to go into system preferences to reconfigure TM to use that drive.

So the question is, can I trick the Mac into using two different drives for TM simultaneously? It needs to be no fuss, no clicks, just eject one drive and plug in the other, and the system immediately uses it for TM.

Thanks!

2. Bear macrumors G3

This is under Lion:

I've been swapping between 2 drives for Time Machine on a weekly basis with no issues.

You will have to select the drive in Time Machine Preferences when you plug it in, but it does back up everything that was changed since it was last plugged in. I think this selection step when changing drives is easy enough.

I'm not sure how well this would work in previous versions of OS X. And also, Mountain Lion has some Time Machine changes that from what I've read might make this even easier.

3. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

So then there's no way to make it so that it doesn't require any clicks. Got it.

4. rick98761 macrumors 6502

I would just use some other software and backup the entire time machine drive. Probably safer that way anyway. If something messes up your time machine it won't get both backups.