Two unrelated questions, iPod mode play/pause behavior

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by njansen, Aug 31, 2009.

1. njansen macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2009
    I have two unrelated questions concerning the iPod mode play/pause behavior. My hardware is an 8GB 3G purchased late January 2009, running software version 3.0.1.

1) In iPod mode, the inline headset button will only un-pause the music. Pause does not work--I have to pull the phone out of my pocket, double-click the home button, etc.. I have the original headphone/mic headset that came with it. I've seen reports of the button not working at all (i.e. dust in the bottom of the jack), but I can definitely un-pause a song with it, so I don't think it's the headset. Sounds like a weird software bug to me. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

2) If I pause an audiobook halfway through a chapter, and then hit the home button and load a couple pages in Safari (or any other app that uses a lot of memory), and then go back to the iPod main menu, it forgets the chapter and position. Is there anything I can do to fix this? It has become pretty annoying with large-ish audiobooks, I've resorted to writing down the position on a post-it note.

I apologize in advance if this has been posted elsewhere. I tried to search but nothing relevant turned up.

2. njansen thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2009
  3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

Apr 6, 2007
    Portland, OR
    try restoring your iPhone.

although I don't think the second problem will be fixed in a restore, it should fix the first one.
  4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

Nov 2, 2007
    Not a fix for the first, but a work around to it.

Instead of taking it out of your pocket, try just unplugging the headphone a little and then plugging it back in. That will pause the music, and you can replay/unpause your music from the headphones.
  5. njansen thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2009
    I will try the restore and see what happens.