Two Updates Won't Install

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sambo110, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

A security update (from like March or something) and Safari 5 just simply won't install. They are both downloaded, but when I click install it either shows a spinning loading thing for a few seconds, or the install thing for a few seconds, but then it just restarts. Would anyone know why it is doing this?

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I can think of a number of reasons.

Let's start easy:
    Bad Permissions.
    Solution: Repair permissions
    Use Disk Utility to repair permissions on the VOLUME not just the partition within it. Click "Repair", not "Verify"

Not so easy:
    Bad boot block, file tree mismatches, etc. If the previous doesn't work, you may need to use Disk Warrior, or, my favorite: TechTool to actually rebuild your disk and file structures. I find that pretty much solved all problems. But those softwares cost a little money.

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Reboot and try again. I had kinda of a similar problem before and rebooting solved it.

4. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

It wouldn't let me repair or verify the volume, only the OS X partition. I did that, will update this post if it works.

EDIT: Repairing didn't work. I just remembered some updates installed properly, like 10.6.4

5. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

Hiii

Try to perform the Updates Manually from apple.com and check