Two Used 15" MBP, Which Is Better Deal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gizmo22, Sep 17, 2011.

  1. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

    Gizmo22

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    Location:
    Midwest USA
    #1
    Despite this thread regarding buying an older used Macbook, I have came across two units from the 15" MBP unibody line that I know I like. What I do not know is which is the better deal. Not between the two of them, but which is the better deal relative to what they are worth.

    My thought is the answer is fairly obvious, but not certain.

    Unit 1, $1000
    • 2008
    • 2.4 C2D
    • 2gb memory
    • 250gb HDD

    Unit 2, $1200
    • 2010
    • 2.53 i5
    • 4gb memory
    • 500gb HDD, 7200rpm
    • WSXGA+ screen
     
  2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

    dlimes13

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Perrysburg, OH
    #2
    For $200 more, you are getting:

    -2 years newer system
    -Double, if not more, the processor
    -Double the RAM
    -Double the Hard Drive (and possibly faster)
    -High Resolution 1680x1050 Display, More Real Estate/Clearer/etc.
    -Better cooling with the i5

    Yes, without a doubt System 2
     
  3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

    appleguy123

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2009
    Location:
    15 minutes in the future
  4. Gizmo22 thread starter macrumors regular

    Gizmo22

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    Location:
    Midwest USA
    #5
    To take this thread one step further...what is it I am hearing about a major revamp coming in the next few months? Any truth to it, or are we still 6 months out? I don't need a brand new system...honestly, the C2D system would be sufficient for the basic web browsing and office suite work I'd be doing.

    That said, no one wants to be stuck holding the bag when the new designs come out leaving "old unibodys" to drastically drop in value.
     
  5. henry72 macrumors 65816

    henry72

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    Location:
    New Zealand
  6. Philflow macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 7, 2008
    #7
    Most rumors say a specbump within one month. New model with new case would probably arrive in the first half of 2012.
     
  7. Gizmo22 thread starter macrumors regular

    Gizmo22

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    Location:
    Midwest USA
    #8
    For better or worse, unit 1 sold before I was able to solidify a [hopefully lower] price for the Core 2 Duo MBP. On a whim I then proceeded to buy a 2009 Mac Mini to hold me over until a new MBP is released.
     
  8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2004
    #9
    unit 2 by FAR (based on specs alone, I have no idea which is in better condition physically)

    ----------

    No one knows, and I doubt it.
     
  9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

    GuitarG20

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2011
  10. Badrottie Suspended

    Badrottie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles
  11. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

    Prodo123

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
  12. JacaByte macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2009
    #13
    Unit 2 is not the latest generation of MBP; it is the one prior to the current generation.
     
  13. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

    GuitarG20

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2011
    #14
    he means latest between the two options, meaning the newest of the two.
     
  14. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

    yusukeaoki

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
  15. tejagamer macrumors member

    tejagamer

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2010
  16. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

    BreakGuy

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2009
    Location:
    NZ, South Pacific
    #17
    I was always told that if you can afford it you should be buying newer technology. If you can afford the extra $200, then get the second system.
     
  17. Badrottie Suspended

    Badrottie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #18
    thank you very much GuitarG20!
     
  18. NZed macrumors 65816

    NZed

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2011
    Location:
    Canada, Eh?

Share This Page