Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turboguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Bear with me, this is long...but I'd really appreciate your feedback:

Okay so I followed along with the Mountain Lion clean install PDF with my mid-2011 iMac, but ran into a problem at step nine with the source and destination restore menu (could not restore, resource busy), as it wouldn't wipe and then copy to the USB flash drive.

I downloaded and ran Lion DiskMaker2, and it worked fine. However, when it came time to transfer my data, I could not see my external hard drive, only one disk, the Macintosh HD. I had to skip the step and then start Migration Assistant once Lion was up. Same thing: no external drive showing, only the Macintosh HD. As I had already wiped the internal HD, I figured that my iMac was calling the external drive the hard drive and proceeded the data copying process.

It also had me create a new profile because it said that two profiles couldn't have the same name, which I thought was strange. was rickjensen; added rickjensen1.

The data transferred after an hour, and Mountain Lion is working (I'm using the dictation feature now). But there are a few things that aren't right: I had to re-input my Office for Mac 2011 key (is that normal?), and when I tried to save a Word document to the desktop, it says the desktop is not available and a little red icon was on the desktop bar. I then had to navigate to rickjensen1, find its desktop, and then everything saved just fine.

At the logon page, the new profile that I created, rickjensen1, uses my Lion profile photo and has all of my desktop files/folders in the right place just like my Lion desktop once I log in. However if I log out and log into rickjensen, there’s a stock bald eagle photo, and the ML screen shows a bottom toolbar and the galaxy image from Mountain Lion, but no files or folders on the desktop.

If I log out of rickjensen1 and go back to rickjensen and try the Migration Assistant, it still only shows the mac HD, no external disk.

I've attached a screen grab here; am I using the external drive as my main drive here?

Or did it install OK, and I just had to create a new profile name for some reason?

How badly did I screw this up? Gonna get some ZZZZs and try not to worry about it till tomorrow...

Attachments

• ML.WTF.1.png
    ML.WTF.1.png
    922.1 KB · Views: 95

Turboguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
OK, so is this such a dumb question that nobody is replying, not explained well enough, or (newbie hope) complicated enough that no one knows which direction to point me in? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.