Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Got an Apple logo of death, so I managed to restore it ok. Then when I right click on the iPhone button on the left of iTunes and click 'Restore from Backup' (doing this when it also asks to set up as new phone doesn't work)... I'm given two backups. One I made yesterday and one I made two months ago.

The problem is both of them restore to the backup two months ago!!

Can anyone help please??

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
user error? maybe you clicked the wrong one? find the backups in your library and move the old one to the desktop and try again.

OTOH, backups are not infallible. there have been plenty of reports of corruption. maybe itunes detected that your latest backup was corrupt and automatically chose the previous one.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
user error? maybe you clicked the wrong one? find the backups in your library and move the old one to the desktop and try again.

OTOH, backups are not infallible. there have been plenty of reports of corruption. maybe itunes detected that your latest backup was corrupt and automatically chose the previous one.

I've tried moving the old one over to my desktop for the time being, or at least I'd like to.. but they're not exactly named, and are comprised of lots of folders/files. So I have no idea what I'm moving.

I can't believe the backup I did this morning is corrupt. It backed everything up... then I asked it to remove 'Tresure Hunter' (shockingly bad app by the way) - anyway, it didn't seem to be doing anything, so I deleted it off the phone instead (BIG mistake), and then cancelled the 'Removing... ' notice from iTunes. I guess that's what gave me the apple logo of death... but surely that wouldn't corrupt my backup? It wasn't actually backing anything up, just deleting something from the phone.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
The weird thing is I'm using a Phone browser app and I've gotten into the latest backup, and can read it's text messages etc so I know the data is still there!

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I've still got two backups in the list, one from 2 months back, 1 from this morning. Restoring gives the same result no matter which one I choose, it'll restore by 2 month old back up.

I've had a look at the physical location of my backups, they're in 2 folders. One is about 150mb (the 2 month old backup), the other is 1.05GB.

I hate to screw things up more than they already have but has anyone encountered this before? Should I try moving the old backup to my desktop for now, and then try restoring again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.