two video cards for two seperate resolutions?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bmc1818, Nov 21, 2009.

1. bmc1818 macrumors member

I talked to an apple genius this afternoon about hooking a mac pro into a computer monitor and lcd tv. He stated that to run two seperate monitors with different resolutions I would need two video cards. Is this correct?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Not really, when the graphics card you already have is able to output to two devices (display and TV via an adapter), then you are able to output to two different resolutions.
    There is no need for two graphic cards doing that.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

This guy must have been a complete moron.

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Didn't you read the post? He was GENIUS! :D

I hate that title...they should call them something a little less arrogant.

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Typical Apple Genius: Dead Wrong!

Assuming you have a Mac Pro from where you're posting - I don't know of a card that's officially available for your machine that has only one connector. All cards with two connectors are capable of running two different monitors at two different resolutions. This includes the scenario you describe with an LCD TV and a computer monitor (lcd or other).

Gawd, If we got a buck for every Apple Genius that got corrected in these forums... :p

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

You can absolutely run two monitors at different resolutions.

The only thing I can think of is he was talking about mirroring.

8. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Just to help make the point

Attached Files:

9. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Not particularly on topic, but I thought you'd like to know: the kind of problems  Geniuses run into most frequently are people with iPhones that ran out of charge, saying it won't run, which they promptly fix and hand back.

No, I'm not kidding. I spoke to a few about this.

Basically, don't expect a ton of help if it's not something they actually see on a regular basis. In other words, 85% of the questions that'll get asked in this subforum. Very few will be able to answer questions usefully about a graphics card.

10. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I have no idea really but the one in Japan at the Nagoya location the Genius Bar to me looked like a form of social interaction with nerds on one side and salesmen on the other. I've been there three times I think, shopping in other areas of the store, but from what I could tell by glancing over that was it... and everyone there was with an iMac or a laptop.