two video projects - need help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GGJstudios, Feb 20, 2009.

1. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm a novice on editing video, and I've spent a lot of time searching the web and the forums with MRoogle, but I still can't find my answers. I have two things I'd like to accomplish:
    1. I have a .mov file that I'd like to crop a section from. It's 30 minutes long and I want just a 4-minute piece of it, saved as another .mov file. What app will do the trick? I'd also like to crop sections from DVDs, but that may require a different app.

2. I have 3 videos that I ripped from DVDs, using MacTheRipper. They're each about 10 minutes in length. I want to be able to combine these (or any video clips) and burn them on one DVD that can be played on any DVD player.

If there are free apps that will accomplish these things, great. I'm not opposed to buying an app if it does what I need.

These are the video-related apps I have installed (I haven't explored all of them yet):
    Burn
    DivX Player
    DVD Player
    Flip4Mac
    HandBrake
    iDVD
    iMovie
    Kigo Video Converter
    MacTheRipper
    Miro
    QuickTime Player
    Safari
    VLC
    Wimpy FLV Player​

2. -DH macrumors 65816

1. Just about any non-linear editing application can do that. iMovie, FCE, FCP, Premier, etc. It isn't called cropping though ... it's called editing. Cropping is an entirely different thing.

2. MPEG Streamclip (freeware) along with the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component ($19.99 USD) ... or DVDxDV can convert a non-commercial DVD's VOB files into an editable format.

-DH

3. GGJstudios thread starter macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for your response!
    1. I tried iMovie, but it wouldn't let me choose any .mov file. I couldn't find a way to open it with iMovie. In fact, if I right-click on a .mov file and choose "Open with...", iMovie is grayed out and can't be selected. Again, I'm a novice in regards to video. I figured more powerful apps like FCP, FCE, etc. would do it, but it seemed overkill for the simple task at hand.

2. I already ripped the movie clips into VOB files. I don't need to edit them.... just to burn them all on one DVD, so it plays one after another. While a menu with chapter selection would be nice, it's not necessary.

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Try using the Import function in iMovie. ".mov" just means it's a QuickTime file, but doesn't refer to the codec used to make the file.

5. GGJstudios thread starter macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Using File > Import Movies... when I browse to a movie to select, all .mov files are grayed out and not selectable.

6. -DH macrumors 65816

That means that the video files (.mov) aren't made from a codec that iMovie will work with. Are these files the ones you made with Mac the Ripper? If so, you converted them to the wrong codec.

-DH

7. GGJstudios thread starter macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, these came from another source. The ones in item #2 are the ones I ripped.

8. -DH macrumors 65816

It still means that they aren't made with a codec that iMovie accepts. Try converting them, then importing the resulting files.

-DH

9. GGJstudios thread starter macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do I use to convert them?