Two Video questions

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CatsTide, Oct 22, 2012.

1. CatsTide macrumors 6502

Might have been better to start two threads but I'll try it here:

1. What is a recomendation for a good external Blue ray drive?
    I'm about to pull the trigger on this one but would like some other opinions. My main goal with this drive is to rip Blue Ray discs.

2. I need method of converting VHS tapes(home videos) to digital format. I have looked at the Roxio but it has bad reviews.

2. CatsTide thread starter macrumors 6502

1,035 views and nobody has an opinion on this. :-(

3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

4. treatment macrumors member

My first, and only Blu Ray is an internal unit made my Pioneer.
    I made it external by adding a USB power supply.
    It worked great for over a year, and now, dead, so I am in the same market as you.
    I want something super small like what you suggested, but I am not so confident on the "super small" models...my experience with SuperDrives is very negative, and I worry about the fragility.

The other question you are up against is the BD-XL route, which a lot of new burners have, but at this point the blank media is stupid expensive, and not at all cost effective.
    I'm thinking I'll go with another Pioneer, (since they invented the technology), its guaranteed to work with Toast, and skip the BD XL option until next year when the blank media prices come down, and the new burner is dead again!
    Treatment

5. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

This one looks fine. It has generally positive reviews on Newegg and will probably do what you need. Last year I purchased a powered external with a Pioneer drive and usb/FW800/eSATA ports to move amongst our various computers at work. It was closer to $200. Was it worth it? Well... Unless you're itching for more, I think this one would be fine.

What's your budget? More expensive by a few are the Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle in thunderbolt and USB3 versions. Blackmagic also makes an analog to h.264 USB dongle device called the Video Recorder.