Two Way Audio - Network Or Analog

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Switchfoot, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Switchfoot macrumors member

Hi all! I think I'm in the right forum for this type of question- please let me know if not.

I have 2 camera operators and one person manning a video switcher. At the moment I run a regular SM57 into a little mic amp and into a powered headphone splitter, which gives me one out (100 ft xlr) to headphones at the first camera and another (50ft 1/4") to headphones at the second camera.

This works well, but I'd love for the 2 camera operators to be able to talk back. I realize talk back systems exist, but I'd love to keep this to under $100, and I wonder if anyone has tried out something that works for them.

Also, I can have wired network access in any (or all) of these locations, so if any company has a sort of network conference call that could also work.

Thanks for any help or advice!

2. mfram macrumors 65816

Maybe iPod Touches/iPhones running some kind of voice chat client over WiFi network. Take your pick of many: Skype, Google Hangouts, TeamSpeak, etc, etc. Each one has a headset.

3. Switchfoot thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply! I've been trying out a couple of walkie talkie type "apps" but if at all possible I'd like to keep from making them use their phones. Mostly college age volunteers, and competing for text time is probably not in my best interest.

My current solution (or at least what I'm trying out this week) is to have each on a cheap lapel mic (~50$), run into a 4 channel mixer (~20$) with a mic from the operator. Then that would run into a headphone distributor that they would all plug headphones into. (~20$) I've got some of the stuff already, not to mention the headphone cables already run, so I guess we'll see how it works!

I'll check back in here with the results.