Two week 8+, wife broke screen, will Amex cover damage?

rjdoc74

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Hello everyone,

Bought two 8 pluses 2 weeks ago, paid cash. Did not purchase Applecare plus or Squaretrade. Wife dropped her phone today and cracked the screen (screen protector and case was on, wiered). Phones purchased on Busienss Amex SPG.

I read somewhere that Amex will cover damage within first 90 days of purchase. Is this true?

Thanks!

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Hello everyone,

Bought two 8 pluses 2 weeks ago, paid cash. Did not purchase Applecare plus or Squaretrade. Wife dropped her phone today and cracked the screen (screen protector and case was on, wiered). Phones purchased on Busienss Amex SPG.

I read somewhere that Amex will cover damage within first 90 days of purchase. Is this true?

Thanks!
Wouldn’t contacting Amex answer your question?

riverfreak

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Bangkok
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
I highly doubt it.

Amex usually extends OEM warranty on defects for an additional year. It isn’t insurance against breakage.

There is also an approval process where you have to take your device to an authorized repair facility. They’ll complete a form that Amex provides and there is some other required documentation.

You can try but don’t be surprised if aMEX declines. When it applies, it’s great. They covered a 13” Air for me which had a catastrophic logic board failure almost two years from the date of purchase. Total replacement cost.

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Most high end cards cover loss/accidental damage/etc for 90-120 days. Good chance Amex will cover the damage. Call them!

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I know that certain business cards will cover phone damage / incidents but as far as I know its only if you pay your cellphone bill w/ the card... Chase Business Preferred for example will cover accidental damage for any phone whose service is paid for on the card w/ a $100 deductible. Good alternative to Apple Care.

Hoosier317

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
You didn't happen to buy your wife with that Amex too, did you? :)

Reactions: myscrnnm

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
Did you break something of your wife’s to make it even? I kid i kid.

For me, they didn’t cover damage. They only extended warranty. Maybe you can buy AppleCare on it and then let that take care of it? Would probably be cheaper in the long run

nikhsub1

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Yes they will cover it. My wife broke her very first iphone screen 10 years ago. It was $249 to replace the glass back then, I paid for it, submitted a claim to Amex and they reimbursed me.

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
Possibly... but typical CC insurance benefits is limited to extended the manufacturer's warranty... so if the manufacturer covers it, the CC will extend the length of time the device is covered... by typically NOT add additional types of coverage (screen breakage, or other accidental damage). You'd need to contact AXP to file a claim, so why not just remove all the guesswork and call them and ask your question?