Two week old MBP backlit keyboard failed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maka344, Mar 23, 2011.

1. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

I started my Mac up this morning and noticed that the backlit keyboard lights didn’t work, I rebooted and tried a new user account, in bootcamp and it still doesn’t work. When I try to increase/decrease it using the keys it shows a white circle with a line through.

If I take it to Apple what will they do? Ideally I would like a new one and for them to swap over my SSD as this was a BTO build. Can/will they do that?

I am new to Mac but not the iPhone and have witnessed the quality of the service in the Apple store. As i say, this is two weeks old.

2. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

As long as you are inside your 14 day from purchase, you are entitled to a brand new replacement, which will have to be shipped to you custom built again.

Ring them now.

3. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Do you know that if the ambient light sensor detects a lot of light the backlit keyboard will be disabled? Try turning it on in a really dark room and see what happens. If you have tried, my apologies.

But yes Apple will definitely replace it or repair it for you. If you are in your return period, you may return it and purchase another MBP with an SSD. But seeing that this is a BTO... not too sure about returning through the Apple Store.

4. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah I would try in a darker room. I remember once in awhile mine does that too, where it won't turn on, but then I used my mbp in a darker room later and it worked fine.