Two week old Touch, battery never charges to 100%

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by danimal99, Aug 3, 2008.

1. danimal99 macrumors regular

I got my Touch a couple of weeks ago, and something that has always bugged me is how quickly the battery runs down. Yesterday, I decided to jailbreak it, and one of the things I tried was an alternate battery meter, where I could more easily tell the charge level, as well as turning on the numeric battery display in the menu bar. I found that my battery never charges higher than 86%.

I've restored my firmware to stock, but now that I know the battery never fills up, it explains something else I've been bugged about, which is there has always been a gap on the right of the stock battery meter (when it's connected to the computer by cable.)

Is this normal? Anybody else have a practically brand new Touch with a less than 100% battery?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. fejjro macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue

I just received my 8G iPod touch 2 days ago. Once I jailbroke it I installed the Boss Preferences app and began using the numeric indicator. It caps out at 86 for me but the battery image on the locked screen shows a nearly fully-charged battery. I think this is normal. I think that the numeric indicator is just a rough estimate anyway.

3. danimal99 thread starter macrumors regular

Now I'm getting something else weird, while I have it connected and supposedly charging. The big battery meter is steadily running down, even though the little meter in the top appears to be full. It's dropped from about 75% to about 20% in the last 15 minutes or so.

Which one is right? Anybody ever seen this happen to them?

Thanks.

Update: I forgot to mention that iTunes is currently processing SoundCheck song volumes, and I don't know if it's doing the music on the iPod or in my library on the computer. Could that be what's draining my battery? (And does it really not charge when something like this is going on?) iTunes shows the battery on the iPod as nearly dead as well, in the little battery icon under Devices.

4. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

5. danimal99 thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't contacted support.

What I found was that my Touch began charging back up once iTunes finished doing whatever it does for SoundCheck, so I figured that if it's syncing or accessing the iPod in some way, it can't charge. It ran it all the way down to 10% battery power before it finished.

It is back up to "full" now, which is still less than 100%, so I think I might just have a less than optimal battery. I really can't contact Apple and say that I Jailbroke it and it numerically showed me that the battery stops charging at 86%, though. :)

Also, I have it plugged into an unpowered usb hub. Does that make a difference?

6. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Very possibly. Try connecting DIRECTLY to the computer.

7. danimal99 thread starter macrumors regular

Tried it, didn't make a difference. Maybe my Touch just isn't calibrated to the battery very well. Oh well.

8. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Still, I'd try calling Apple support. Maybe leave the jailbreaking part out of the story :D

9. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Absolutely! The Touch needs all the power from the USB port it is in to charge. Your passive hub at best is letting only a fraction of the available power through to the Touch. If you have other devices plugged into the same hub they are also splitting the available power (if any). You seriously need to replace that hub with a powered one. The new one will get power from the AC wall outlet, and charge your Touch even when your PC is off.