two weeks old i7 mbp, hdd fried

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neversaynever, Jun 15, 2010.

1. neversaynever macrumors member

neversaynever

Well, that's it. Diskwarrior Which I am running from an another mac pro said right now that my disk is beyond repair and it will mount whatever is left from my disk and told me to copy whatever I can out of it. Right now it says it encountered 73(and increasing) malfunctions.

It had valuable data.

Congrats, Apple and Seagate.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

If the data was valuable, then you had a backup, correct?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Blame Seagate, not Apple. If it's only two weeks old, you must have the data in other HD, correct? HDs are unreliable thus you should ALWAYS have at least two backups. Prefer having more, 3 at least and the most important data in cloud too.

4. neversaynever thread starter macrumors member

neversaynever

I had backups of my old machine, however this mbp fried before I can buy it a seperate external for time machine. I didnt lose vital data, but I lost a lot. Waiting Diskwarrior to save anything it can.. Hopefully I may at least get my hope folder or portions of it.

5. neversaynever thread starter macrumors member

neversaynever

I have 2 more hdds and dropbox so I'm not completely out in the cold at least. I live in Turkey with a mbp bought from NY, I have heard turkish apple representative firm here is doing everything they could to not to repair expat apples. I have my receipt and applecare fortunately. What should I do if they deny coverage, any ideas?

6. milkybrainuk macrumors newbie

Please check your warranty. I thought laptops have worldwide one. Otherwise your warranty is worthless if your local apple authorized repair center wont take it.

So just buy a new hard drive for it. So cheap.

Or look into getting applecare in your country and see if you can apply it to your laptop.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If they are authorized resellers, they must fix it. If they refuse, just get a new HD, costs 50$

8. neversaynever thread starter macrumors member

neversaynever

Yes, they are authorized resellers, I'll try my chance in one tomorrow

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You had 2 weeks to get an external drive to use as a backup. I know none of us expect HD's to fail, but we all know that they do.

10. robotmonkey macrumors 6502