Two weeks old MBP, already 15 loadcycles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frosse, Nov 18, 2010.

1. frosse macrumors 6502a

My new two weeks old MBP 13" already has 15 loadcycles on the battery, isn't that very much? :confused:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why does it even matter? It just means you use your battery a lot.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree with Miles.

People are obsessing over their battery, the laptop is a tool to be used. If the battery is defective, and not able to hold a charge. Apple will fix it for free, if you're using the laptop as it was intended, i.e. not plugged in for periods of time. Don't worry about it.

4. carlyinoz macrumors member

Thanks for the advice... all this talk about battery life and cycle count has had me obsessing about mine, I think it's time to delete Coconut and just enjoy mine without stressing :rolleyes:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never used coconut for that very reason. When my battery goes, I'll replace it, monitoring it daily/weekly would drive me insane.

6. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

You know some of these people think these things are magical and if you actually use it the pixi dust will run low.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No! No! No! Using it actually increases the pixi dust level! :D

Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

8. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

I feel you. I use mine a lot.

9. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

My 3-and-a-half year old Macbook's original battery has over 1100 load cycles and reports 98% battery health both in CoconutBattery and iStatMenus.

I've done NO special stuff to try to be nice to the battery or anything; I just use it when I need/want and charge it when it's getting low.

Don't worry about it.

10. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

id like to see a screenshot of that one. I think these batteries are probably the best on the market for sure.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you at least calibrated properly, so you know those readings are accurate?

12. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Stop obsessing over it and just use it. Are you already thinking about the resale value because the Sandy Bridge update is a few months away? Just remember the iKlear so you can keep those keys free of finger prints.;)

13. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Mine is only 701 charges but 100% battery capacity

Macbook 4.1

Attached Files:

14. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

I've had an iBook G3 800 for years and it still gets great battery life. Don't even sweat it guys....

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Again, unreliable figures, unless you've properly calibrated.

16. borki macrumors newbie

Hej Frosse,

Ja, the battery could have problems- I have a new mbp as well and there have been a few things tweaky about it, possibly including the battery as it is not getting the long times as it is supposed to- whatever that may be.

You'll have to trouble shoot it, make sure it is calibrated, see if you might be doing anything that is draining it, like using a browser with flash going nuts.

17. sososowhat macrumors 6502

Almost the same here: 2 year old Macbook, 1208 cycles, 93% battery health.

18. deeesea macrumors 6502

Errr...what do you want to do about it?

I don't understand the point of this post. Laptops come with a battery so you can use it.....

So many people on this forum obsess over the number of load cycles on their battery..I don't get it, it's a goddamn laptop, FFS who gives a **** about resale value? I honestly can't go through with the time needed to replace my laptop every time apple pushes a tiny spec bump on their laptop, just too much **** to move over, and a lot of money wasted and time spent (actually also works as a log of money spent and time wasted :D).

19. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

OCD with battery cycles?

Haha just relax and use it up.

20. jdavtz, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

jdavtz macrumors 6502a

I do calibrate but only about every 4 months or so; I can't remember exactly when I last did it. Although I thought calibration was to ensure your "battery remaining" is accurate, not the total capacity.

My point was not "look how great my battery is," but rather "just don't worry about it."

Here's a screenshot, for what it's worth.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: