Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Hello.
i5 15" mbp.
Underneath my computer, theres the large plate where the battery is located under. When i push the plate slighty around the key y (just under) it says this click sound..

When I turn the computer quickly, or place it on table real fast, it says another click sound, from the right buttom corner..

is this normal ? :)

else its perfect.

jiE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Is it like a metallic/glassy sounding click?

The sound from underneath i think is the plate bending..

The sound from the lower right corner, i think is from the harddrive.. could be wrong about this one.

but do you guys have these issues?

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Shake the laptop

It'll make the noise, it's the Hard disk heads parking in case your in the process of dropping the computer

geeza3k

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Hi i have the same problem with i5, got its exchanged for a new one and its still making the metallic pin-drop sound even when the machine is off. I went to the apple store yesterday and the genius rep said it was normal which is stupid really, he opened the back casing and tightened some screws of two brackets but thats about it but no joy the noise is still there. Its definitely not the hard drive or optical drive going faulty!.

jiE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
I have no such kind of noise. Mine are only hearable when I provoke it.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I went to the apple store yesterday and the genius rep said it was normal which is stupid really

Why would that be stupid? I don't know about you, but I don't make a habit of regularly and deliberately shaking my laptop. I have a feeling Apple didn't envision that as a normal use case, either.

Most of the faint "glassy" sounds my mac makes from time to time tend to be hard disk activity. It could also be the motion sensor... basically, the thing that is supposed to detect when the laptop is moving rapidly. Ostensibly, rapid movement is supposed to indicate that the laptop is being dropped, but it looks like it's also useful in detecting overly-worried MBP owners who enjoy shaking their devices to see if they emit noises.

If it's not affecting the operation of the MBP, then don't worry about it. Think of the clicking noise as a reminder that you really shouldn't be shaking your MacBook Pro.

geeza3k

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
The noise is not made by provoking or shaking it, its reproduced thru normal movement let say using the trackpad or perhaps moving it from the desk etc. It also does the clicks when the machine is off so it cannot be the sms. Both i5 machines i have had in the two weeks reproduce this sound, its a mystery...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.