Two weird phenomena

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MBPMax, Jul 18, 2010.

1. MBPMax macrumors member

I've been encountering two weird phenomena with the iPhone 3GS which I hope you can help me out with.

1. Whenever I try to access my emails via 3G I get a message saying "Cannot get mail - The connection to the server ... failed". I've tested this with my Gmail and my university email account, but neither work. The weird thing is that whenever I try to access them via WiFi it works without any problems. I also noticed that accessing emails via O2 3G in the UK was no problem at all, I just started encountering this problem with T-Mobile here in Germany. I should also probably add that whenever I keep refreshing for a while, I do eventually get my emails, but then I cannot read the actual messages because only headers are downloaded and it won't lead me download the contents. Other apps that require 3G work perfectly. The iPhone is running 3.1.2, is locked to the O2 UK network, but I jailbroke and unlocked it so I can use it here in Germany. Any ideas?

2. Sometimes the iPod on my iPhone goes crazy and stops, fast forwards, switches to the next song or activates voice control. However, this only happens on the way back from the gym after using the exact same headphones with an iPod touch for about 1.5 hours. After I charge the phone for a while, it's all back to normal again. I honestly don't know how this happens... I use the iPhone headphones with the iPhone on the way to the gym, then I use the iPhone headphones with the iPod touch while I'm at the gym and then on the way back I use the exact same headphones with the iPhone and it just goes berserk. Any thoughts?

2. n7plus1 Guest

I had the same problem on my old 3G with the mail issue. I was also running 3.1.2. Jailbroken, but not unlocked. Now have the iPhone 4 running 4.0/4.0.1 and no longer have the issue. It's possible this is a firmware upgrade fix? Dunno about the other issue.

3. MBPMax thread starter macrumors member

Good to know I'm not the only one with that problem. I guess I'll wait until the JB for OS 4.0 (new bootrom) is released and see if the problem persists.

4. MBPMax thread starter macrumors member

Alright, I upgraded to the newest iPhone 3GS firmware and jailbroke and unlocked it. However, no success. Whenever I try to access my emails without being connected to WiFi, it usually tells me to check my IMAP settings. Once in a while it does work, however. I have a feeling that it may have to do with the fact that the phone 'thinks' I am abroad as it wants me to have Data Roaming enabled in order to use 3G. If that is disabled, I only get EDGE. Any ideas or thoughts? I also noticed that 'WhatsApp' does not connect to the network whenever I'm not connected to wireless.