Two Wireless connections at the sam time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markdennett, Jan 10, 2014.

1. markdennett macrumors newbie

Hi Guys & Girls,

I have a macbook pro (2010) running Lion. For internet I use BT Openzone in the UK, but I also have a Wireless NAS and Printer so I have purchased a router for them to work off, now the tricky part…

Can I connect to my router and BT Openzone at the same time as they are two separate WiFi connections?

Thanks in advance.

Mark :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can only connect to one Wi-Fi network at a time. See if you can set up your router to connect to the BT Openzone.

3. CH12671 macrumors 6502

You should be able to if you have a separate adapter. You can get a USB wireless network adapter, then it would be no different than connecting to two separate wired networks with two NIC's. Admittedly I've never had the need to try this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Granted, your internal wireless radio can only have one connection at a time.

4. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

a mac can have multiple network connections, but it has to have as many NICs or wifi cards as connections.
    You can pick up an ABG USB stick for pretty cheap these days since most computers have wifi by default now. Though double check to be sure it has Mac drivers!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Why not disable the wireless on the BT Openzone and just use the other router for the wireless? It would be one network with everything on it!