Two words to describe the 4S: Silky Smooth

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kre62, Oct 18, 2011.

1. kre62 macrumors 68000

I've seen some threads about the difference between the 4 and 4S. I personally think there is a huge difference, not just in app load times, but one other key area that many have overlooked: Smoothness.

This of course stems from the dual core GPU. In addition to the dual core CPU, there is a dual core GPU, with 7x graphics performance as we have all heard. Well my friends, this makes a huge difference with the user experience. Everything from scrolling in the Music app, to webpages, transitions, even the folder opening animations, is so smooth I can hardly believe it's real. It really makes a big difference, and is very noticable once you are used to the 4S.

This is something that might not be instantly noticible, but it's there. Also, when you put a 4 and 4S next to each other and start running a bunch of apps, youll notice decreased load times, stuttering, and lack of smoothness with the 4.

The 4S is a powerhouse, and the more you play with it the more youll get used to that power.

2. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Have to admit, I played with a 4S in the Apple Store today and used it side-by-side with my iPhone 4 and I noticed how much smoother the 4S was in it's UI kit. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough to be noticeable.

3. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Smoothness was never "overlooked." Not sure where you thought that from.

4. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

And I'm not sure where you got the idea Kre (or I) meant it was overlooked?

I think it was more in response to the claims that the 4S "isn't much better" than the 4 when it comes to general navigation. iOS 5 has done wonders for my iPhone 4, it's far better than 4.2 to 4.3.5, but after using the 4S you see how much even basic navigation of iOS 5 benefits from the Dual Core CPU.

5. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Right, I want people to realize they need to pay closer attention.

6. Savor Suspended

Savor

I just hope it stays that way before future firmware updates start bogging it down.

Happened to all the iPhones I ever had. I remember how smooth the original iPhone was on 1.1.4. After 2.0, it got slower and slower. By 3.1.3, it lagged just as bad as alot of Android phones. Same thing happened to the 3G. I actually keep my iPhone 4 at virgin 4.0 and the animations are still smooth. I like my OSes to be as "light" as possible and not take up so much space. I expect iOS6 to really slow it down that you would be forced to get another one. Just another endless cycle. This is like Apple not giving you an option to expand your memory or lower the setting on the camera quality. They want you to either buy the most expensive model or start using their iCloud. Either way, they will get your money once your 8MP photos and 1080p videos start eating away your memory space on your newest iPhone. Then your current iPhone that you love now will get treated like yesterday's newspaper. Another new iPhone, another honeymoon phase with it. Wash, rinse, repeat.

These firmware issues doesn't just happen to iOS. It happens to alot of other platforms. Too much stuff running in the background that it also worsens the battery life.

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I don't think it takes very long to notice just how much more powerful the 4S is over the 4...it was similar to the difference between my i5 Macbook Pro and my Penryn...it just about does everything faster and smoother...