Two XP questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Buschmaster, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I suppose the first question's answer may fix the second question, but here we go.

First of all, I think there may be something wrong with my drivers. I just got the new MacBook (White) yesterday and installed XP on it as I had my previous White MacBook (GMA 950 model, to give you an idea) I still had the Leopard discs from when I bought it, but I didn't get to keep the discs with this computer (School gave me the computer, took the discs)

Is it possible that even after an update using Apple's Software Update and everything that I still have bad copies of drivers on there? Is there anywhere to download the latest version of them? I'm going to try to repair them in a minute to see if that fixes it... If not I'm not sure what to do. Everything seems choppy right now.

Second, my wifi isn't selectable in my network connections, so I assume it's the drivers. If there's a place to download those, that would be awesome, so I guess I'll keep hunting.

(p.s. I'm loving this new computer so far:D)

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I know this doesn't answer your question, but why aren't you using the leopard install disc that came with the new macbook?

3. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Because I don't have it, never did.

We get a laptop when we come to school here, but they keep the discs themselves. I only have the Leopard discs from when I bought it very soon after it's release.

4. dantherevelator macrumors regular

The discs you have are from your first MacBook, I take it?

5. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I have discs from the first MacBook but those would be Tiger, I also have Leopard discs that I bought just as Leopard from shortly after Leopard was released.

6. dantherevelator macrumors regular

The drivers you need are on the discs your school kept. Software update won't provide them.

7. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

So there's no other way to get them?2.1 doesn't provide them at all?

8. dantherevelator macrumors regular

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You could search out less scrupulous ways if you're that desperate. First I would go to your school IT dept and just ask and tell them what you need it for.

10. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I went to tech support and the guy was cool. He just gave me the discs I needed. I just can't tell the higher ups about it. ;)

However, even after the repair a lot of it is still choppy and there is still no wifi. Hm.