.txt files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by falconb, Oct 25, 2012.

1. falconb macrumors member

hello guys
    how can i open .txt files on my mac properly because whn i opened one by"TextEdit" it was all like..."symbols" unreadable symbols like if it was decoded wrongly

thanx

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If a .txt file isn't readable by TextEdit, the file may be corrupt or damaged. TextEdit is the appropriate app for opening .txt files.

3. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

It might also be encoded in a different format. Try changing the file encoding by saving the .txt in TextEdit. It should give you options for different encodings. Try UTF-8 or Unicode. Alternately, try opening it using a different text app like TextMate.

4. blipmusic macrumors regular

Could be that TextEdit doesn't open the file with the correct character encoding. Try a plain text editor, such as TextWrangler (free) and see if it can guess the proper encoding (i.e. just open the file in TextWrangler).

If you happen to know the proper encoding there's a "reopen using encoding" command in there somewhere (check p.46 in the manual).

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

In Textedits Preferences, you can set the encoding when you open files. Try UTF-8, UTF-16 and automatic.