Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
I just got a txt from AT&T (supposedly) offering me 1000 free rollover mins as a 'thx for great customers'. Says to call 888-653-4281.

Is this a scam? I google’d it but it’s hard to tell from responses if it’s legit or not. Don’t want to see some $1000 charge to Nigeria on my next bill…

Anyone else recieved this?

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
It appears to be legit. A quick google search indicates that this has been going on since at least March of this year. It appears they are targeting people to sign up for Uverse, etc, but you don't have to do that to get the minutes.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
food for though.
Rollover mins are worthless for the most part. Reason being is hardly ever will you even dip into them. Most people are not pushing their plan to the max. AT&T has a great service their that cost them next to nothing since they know it will be once in a blue moon that some one would dip into their Roll overs.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
food for though.
Rollover mins are worthless for the most part. Reason being is hardly ever will you even dip into them. Most people are not pushing their plan to the max. AT&T has a great service their that cost them next to nothing since they know it will be once in a blue moon that some one would dip into their Roll overs.

I agree for the most part. I'm on a 450 min plan and have been since I joined up with ATT - I have over 2000 rollover minutes. I will say tho - it's handy to HAVE rollover minutes in concept thought as opposed to losing them entirely. There have been a few months that I went over by 100 or so minutes and it was nice to not have any extra charges.

But in reality - 1000 rollover - unless you are a super power user and calling tons off people off the ATT network - is overkill

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Exactly. I'm sure this is legit. They could give away millions of rollover minutes and never see a difference in real-world use.

Totally agree with this. It's a cheap/easy giveaway - as we almost never go over our mins- and had 1200 rollovers already (I'm on a 550 min family plan)

That said, I've been contimplating canceling my land line at home- and this would certainly help offset any calls made to non-att numbers.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
OP: Did the rep know you received the text? I'm wondering if it's something anybody can call and request.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm on the 450 minute plan...with 3 other family members. We still have plenty (over 2000) of roll-over minutes. Anyone want to buy them? Otherwise, I just going to throw them out just like that boy in the commercial.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
OP: Did the rep know you received the text? I'm wondering if it's something anybody can call and request.

Hard to tell. She disappeared for a couple mins after getting my account info (name, number, last 4 social etc.) and told me she'd applied the 1000 mins to my acct- and I'd see it reflected on my next bill.

Sure- they may end up being useless- but I put nearly no effort into so what the heck....

mikemanblah

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
i called it and an indian lady picked up saying i think "This is (Something) who may i have the pleasure of speaking today" Its not att related

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I got the text as well. If only it were for something I could actually use.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I got the same thing. You call in and get the additional 1000 minutes, no problem. The catch is, they'll ask you about their Uverse service and if you're interested.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
I got the same thing. You call in and get the additional 1000 minutes, no problem. The catch is, they'll ask you about their Uverse service and if you're interested.

This may be true if you call the 800#. I called *611 (to ensure it was not a scam) and they added it without a word.

freya333

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
888-653-4281

Just called 611 and spoke to AT&T rep. He stated he has no record of this promotion. Stated most likely a scam that AT&T does not give away free minutes.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Just called 611 and spoke to AT&T rep. He stated he has no record of this promotion. Stated most likely a scam that AT&T does not give away free minutes.

Hey- for me, this ended up not being a scam. The addl 1000 rollover mins were added, and are still reflected on my acct. I just rechecked the myWireless app again to confirm.

triptyx

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
AT&T rep at 611 said it's legit (though she had to go digging for it), and that they're attempting to sell you service enhancements to qualify you for the minutes.

Frankly, I don't think random text messages telling you to call random phone numbers and give them account related information is a very good idea. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.