txt spam - what to do about it.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Apr 29, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps I've been lucky, but up until recently, I've not really received too much txting spam. I attribute the recent increase to an app textplus, perhaps they're not guilty but since first getting/trying that app, I started getting txt spam.

Not a lot but its annoying, is there anything I can do to stem this problem. Especially if the volume increases, it may push my over my quota if I'm not careful.

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

+1

Maybe I/we are lucky, but I have yet to get any texts other than ones I would have expected. :confused:

Did you opt-in to something?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've gotten random / nonsense texts occasionally (i.e., maybe three times in ten years)... what kind of spam are you getting?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Next time maflynn don't give me your phone number. ;)

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Yes, we. I get the occasional text from 3 telling me about some new change to their policy, but they're quite important to many customers, so I wouldn't call it spam. Other than that all my texts are from friends.

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As others stated, just random crap.

I didn't that's the thing. I'm very protective of my phone number and I generally don't give it out to web forms. That app, I mentioned. I installed it, looked at it, and then deleted it. I did not "add" my phone number, but its conceivable it was able to pull that from the phone itself.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You could be getting spam due to a friend that has you as a contact. There is an online sync program for contacts that was accused of spamming the contacts you synced with them. I'm sure there are other programs that may do it.

9. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Use iBlacklist from Cydia it will block all spam phone calls and text messages.

10. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Papa johns pizza has recently begun an unsolicited text spam campaign.

11. duncanapple macrumors 6502

I got a few from a restaurant that I have been to before (i'm sure they used my number from making reservations). Fortunately they had an opt out option by replying to the text. I think text spam should be banned (and I would imagine its easily traceable, in order to enforce this). I'm lucky to have unlimited texts, but if not I would be pretty PO'd about spam.

12. Elixer macrumors regular

I've gotten ones from some company I never heard of before telling me to watch their stock...

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

14. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You can block numbers from texting you. If you can't do it online, calling your carrier should take care of it.

Reminds me of a funny story, recently had some random person start texting me and didn't get the hint when I told them that the number was wrong.

15. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Hear that whooshing sound? That was jessica's joke going right over your head. :p

16. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Well it is illegal in the US and you can file a complaint with the FCC. I have got a bit here and there and have had no problem with replying with STOP.

17. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll try that next time. Thanks for that :)

18. mstrze macrumors 68000

Also, double check your phone bill. I got scammed last year into signing up for a ringtone subscription (just by entering my number in a form) that was changing $10/month to my phone bill.

Since your spamming is occuring for some unknown reason, you might also be susceptible to this scam as well...if 'they' have your number.

19. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good information. I have been lately because there was a charge. I put a block on all "cramming" so third party expenses should not be showing up.

20. ethical macrumors 68000

haha yep :p

I only get the odd message from a club, because I text in while I was there once...so it's my fault. If it's not every day then what's the big deal?

21. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

LOL that got a good guffaw out of me. I LOVE messing with people.

22. 1tigerlivejob macrumors newbie

I actually receive a text spam the other day and I remember nading my head saying to myself, 'Wow now there using the cell phone to advertise" wow

23. Brett3rThanU macrumors regular