type connection do I need for running external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nofear212, Dec 27, 2010.

1. nofear212 macrumors newbie

I have an 09' 13 inch Macbook Pro and I want to get an external monitor so I can use my laptop screen and the monitor at the same time for more space. What type of connection capabilities should I be looking for in the monitor to ensure that my macbook will be able to connect with the monitory?

Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You'll need either a DisplayPort-capable monitor, or a DVI-capable monitor with a DisplayPort to DVI adapter. VGA will also work (with an adapter) but won't look as good.

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You can also just buy a tv with an hdmi or vga port and use it as a monitor and tv for whatever else...

4. dime21, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

dime21 macrumors 6502

Be aware that DVI is limited to 1920 x 1200 resolution. If your monitor is this resolution (or smaller), you need a DisplayPort to DVI adapter.

If you buy a large monitor with higher resolution than that, you'll need dual-link DVI instead. So you'll need the DisplayPort to dual-link DVI adapter.

Factor the adapter cost into your purchasing decision, as the dual-link adapter from Apple is spendy ($100). Also, DVI is not capable of sending audio, it only does video, so you'll need separate audio cables to use external speakers.

Your best option would be to buy a monitor that has a native DisplayPort connection. Then you won't need any video adapters at all. I think all the current Apple monitors have this.

5. nofear212 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

"HDCP" means that it's compatible with hardware/software that uses digital copy protection, usually on things like blu-ray players to ensure that you aren't recording the output.

A DVI input will work, as others have said you will just need to purchase a mini-displayport to DVI adapter. Apple sells them, so does monoprice.com.

This should work: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024604&p_id=5999&seq=1&format=2