Type.GREEN

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Krafty, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

My attempt at typography. I'm not a typographer, I'm a freaking sophomore in college, so give me a break.

[​IMG]

2. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

You should never talk yourself down when you present something. Present it like its the best work ever. Dont start off with a negative attitude and sell yourself short.

As far as the work, What is the work for? Right now, it just looks like a student exercise. I dont see any real purpose behind it. Also, the dominant grey letters in the arrows. Did you choose those for a reason?

3. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

If in reality, maybe. But since people on the internet don't seem to understand, I feel like I have to shove it in peoples face in order to understand. It's not like we'll ever meet. I'm just tired of hearing "omgz Az tyP0grphez R do dat in 2wenty minzz."

...I'm not a [​IMG]ing typographer, [​IMG]ing little kids....

The work is for a starting project, has to do with "Green," so I decided to try it with Type. The gray is there cause no one could make out what it was until I made the shape of the arrow more dominate.

I'm working on the logo.

4. Elixer macrumors regular

In my opinion the large grey letters distract from the actual arrow shapes. Have you tried a version with all small letters in the grey area?

5. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

well in my opinion, it actually looks fine. nothing wrong with it particularly. If it were me though, i would want the type to mean something. Like in every one of the arrows use a different word...like believe, hope, etc... those feel good words. The big letters do kind of distract from the over all exercise and i dn't particularly like the stroke and the outline.

If you really wanted to spend sometime with it, you could try to give it some depth. Take the "stroke" away, and be very purposeful in where you put the at the bottom of the arrow (the square side) use thick, heavy type and keep it really tight. then gradually make the text more spacious and thinner and probably even a little smaller as you come up to where the arrow folds. Now starting at the "pointy" end of the arrow, make it really thin and light and very spacious, but enough there to make the shape out. Then gradually adjust that as you build it up to the fold on that side. WIth some tweaking, it could end up looking like it actually had some depth to it, like a real object that folded, but made out of type. could be cool.

-je

6. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Not yet, cause I didn't think I would have time, but good point.

I guess I can look into that next time, thanks for the suggestions. I had words like "recycle" in there but eventually it became unreadable.

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I like the concept, but I'm a little confused. Do the letters spell something out? If so, I'm not seeing it...

8. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

No.

9. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Arrows aren't original; alphabet is (or could be) has potential to be. The current design connotes a somewhat meaningless 'recycle alphabets.'

Since there are three arrows, consider three areas of recycling:
    1. paper
    2. plastic
    3. metal
    Perhaps use elements or plastic codes to enhance your design with more meaning. If that does not read quickly enough, perhaps use the letters from actual words themselves, like the ones in the list or "aluminum," "cans," "bottles" ...

10. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

If you read from the f clockwise you get FTW, not a good 3 letter combo for recycling.
    I would go with words associated with recycling, & Green philosophies.