Type of HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by headviking, Feb 11, 2009.

1. headviking macrumors member

Does anyone know what type of HD Mac uses in there desktopand and laptops?

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Hitachi is one I know they use. It's on my MacBook Pro. I think they also use Seagate, but I'm not sure on which models. If you are trying to find out what kind you have, just click on the Apple Logo> About This Mac> More Info ...>under Hardware find something called Serial-ATA or just ATA for older Macs.

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

They have used different types over the years. Check system profiler to see your exact model. Probably a Maxtor, Seagate or Hitachi.

However, if you're asking this question because you're buying a new one then there are lots of very good brands for very reasonable prices.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK, I will take your question a different direction just in case you meant it differently when you said 'type'.;)

Current Macs use SATA drives as opposed to IDE/PATA drives in past models. In either case they have come from multiple manufacturers even within the same model line.

5. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Ooohhhh. I didn't think of that. Nice thinking outside of the box :D

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aahh back from holidays hey all!!!

i think the OP was wondering if you can buy any old HD to put into a Mac.. the answer is YES!!! of course you can!* its only the format of the drive that is different.

*as long as you are using the correct interface then you can use any drive.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

When I read the question, all I thought of was the interface type, so I would say the same for your response! I never considered brand of drives!;)