Type of Mac for Photography as Second Computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tocampo, Mar 8, 2009.

1. tocampo macrumors newbie

I'm new hear and I'm relatively new with Mac. I'm a PC user and finally branched out to Mac. Hubby and I are programmers and one main reason we are branching to Mac is to learn more about programming, etc. on this environment. We are also into photography and video editing and again, having Mac/Apple would provide very important to us. I'm thinking of purchasing a notebook. Can someone help me in determining which one to buy? I have an iMac 24, and would like to get either a MacBook or Pro as an extension whenever I cannot stay at my work station and whenever I'm out. Photography would primarily be done in iMac, however, since I like portrability, will just having a MacBook be sufficient enough for my needs for photography and video, softwares/applications to be loaded, maybe basic editing will be done there (for both) but the main work will be in the desktop? We have a network/server (5TB) where we store our main and important files, e.g., programs, documents, movies, backups, etc. We don't really use our own computers and notebooks for storing files except those that are really necessary but we move them to the servers once we determine it is safe to move it out.

Thank you and hope someone can englighten me :)

2. kitch95 macrumors regular

kitch95

depends what type of video and photo editing you are doing, if its imovie and a bit of photoshop but if its final cut pro/studio not sure what they are called now. But anyway if it is final cut pro ect I think you would appreciate the dedicated 9600 GT graphics card that is in the MBP. If not then go for the macbook. Hope this helps.