type one handed iphone plus ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anonymous4a, Nov 8, 2014.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Is it really impossible to type one-handed with the iPhone 6+ ? Even with a case with a lot of grip ? I have average sized hands and was debating getting the iPhone 6+ for the larger screen size and battery life but one handed use is very important to me .

2. CMSawall2 macrumors regular

I had to adjust the way I hold my phone to be able to do it one handed, but since my first iPhone, i usually text in landscape. So I'm not worried about it.

3. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

I type one handed even walking my dog... It's not as easy, but you adjust. Maybe you should go to an Apple Store and try it. The real test is using it for a few days though. Why not buy it, and try it for a week? If your not adjusting, try the 6 a week.

4. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have very large hands ? What kind of case do you have on it ?

5. cababah macrumors 68000

I type one-handed on it quite a bit. Not an issue or struggle. Maybe my fingers are just long?

6. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Eh ... sorry, but it's really hard. I feel like I'm going to drop the phone when I try and do it. Two handed all the way. I'm 5' 8".

7. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I have big hands but I have never felt comfortable typing one handed on any keyboard (physical, virtual, desktop, mobile or otherwise) so it was easy to adapt to size of the 6 Plus. I do use the phone one handed, just when I need to type I always do it with two hands. It's just much easier.

I have the Apple Leather Case on my iPhone and it gives it the right amount of grip and is slim but protective enough for me. Plus it gives a really nice "even more premium" look to the phone that I love.

8. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Possible? Yes.

It's a bit of a balancing act though, it is by no means comfortable.

9. macblitz macrumors member

macblitz

I'm typing this reply with 1 hand.

Works but difficult.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am not a one-handed typist and never have been, however I decided to try typing with one hand on my Plus just to see what all the fuss is about. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I can understand that it must be harder than on previous models. Swype (which is now free on the appstore) helps a lot.

I have always found that, when I want tot ype with one hand, it's easier to just use speech to text. I just tap the little microphone (bottom left, not the new one on the right) and talk. It even supports Hungarian now, which is awesome, because I am not the best Hungarian typist. :)

11. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

I'd say my hands are average ... Im 5 7', and a girl. Its possible to type one handed, do it often. It is something you have to get used to though. It is not as easy as it was with my 5s. I have a clear thin case on my 6+. I think there is just an adjustment period. I still think your best option is to buy a 6+ and try it for the 14 day return period. If after a week you can't adjust, return and try a 6.

12. upbraid macrumors member

i saw a guy on the subway grip the iphone 6+ from the top and reaching all the keys with his middle finger, looked like he was 6'10 though so don't think this applies to most of us

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

And buy it from Apple. No restock fee. ;)

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's doable, and I have embarrassingly small hands for a guy. I only really have trouble reaching 'q'

15. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

Small hands here. I type one handed with ease. Got used to it already:

16. mgs315 macrumors member

Likewise. I'm typing this one handed from my 6+ right now.

17. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah , I tried it at the Apple Store and can seem to reach every letter ok except for "p" . using my left hand .

18. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

are you using a case for it to improve grip ? If so, which one are u using ?

19. Xeyad macrumors 6502

20. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

I can do it without the case. It's actually quite doable one handed, especially with Reachability. The sleep button is the hardest to press. Also with a leather case one handed is kind of hard, but kind of doable.

21. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

you must have really large hands ? I can't even hold the phone securely if I'm trying to type one handed . I would have to lay it on my fingers . That's why I thought a case would help , so that there would be more grip when it's laying on my fingers ..

22. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

As a woman I have small hands and long thin fingers and I have no problem texting one handed on my 6 Plus depending on how I position my hand on it.

23. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Typing with one hand right now while recording video with 5s. It's doable but obviously slow. See video :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YUyfNFR-lI&list=UU--Xws-bitkYPEHfjuINlAw

24. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Yes, after learning some new positions and using reach ability - it's possible. Practice before you hold your phone one handed outside w no carpeting.

25. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

this app seems perfect . Has anyone else tried it or could possibly post a video using this keyboard on iPhone 6 plus ?