TypeItIn replacement for MAC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sherman731, Apr 25, 2010.

1. sherman731 macrumors newbie

New to Mac from PC. Used a very handy program on PC called TypeItIn that formed buttons on the side of the screen that pasted info into documents. Did a search on this forum and found a reference from 2008 that suggested alternatives, but they are not the same. Since the suggestions were from 2008, I thought maybe someone had developed something since that worked more closely to how TypeItIn was programmed. Any suggestions?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't quite understand what TypeItIn does, thanks to their 2002 website and 1997 catch phrases, but Quicksilver allows you to set key triggers to type certain content or copy it to the clipboard. For example, there are a few programs that I link on a daily basis on this forum, so I have keys mapped to copy the following text to the clipboard, links included:

^F16 – MacFUSE and NTFS-3G
    ^F17 – Carbon Copy Cloner
    ^F18 – with Pacifist

3. sherman731 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding.

I'm not sure what you meant by 2002 website and 1997 catch phrases. You can see what typeitin does by going to http://www.wavget.com/typeitin.html to see a description. The basic use for me is a handy and easy way to just click on a button and insert a username and password or to insert repetitive text in a document.

4. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Take a look at textexander http://www.smileonmymac.com/TextExpander/. Typically with text expander you would type in a snippet to be replaced with text. For example typing in haddr could expand to your home address. Once you have your snippets defined you can select them from the menu icon rather then type them. This should give you something like what you were using in Windows

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's the website I was referring to. "2002 website" means it has dated web design, and "1997 catch phrases" means it uses dated clichés like "work smarter, not harder".