Types of Offers for Your iPad (1st Gen)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lilnyc, Mar 21, 2011.

1. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

I'm just able to offer mine for sale because I ordered it online not realizing how long it would take. It's a 64GB WiFi+3G in perfect condition with all packaging. I'm asking $550 on Craigslist and Facebook (not from anyone here).

Not surprisingly, so far there are no legit offers. The only offer is $400 from someone. I ignored him.

I already have a buy-back offer, but wanted to see if I could get a better one locally.

What have your experiences been?

2. sgd316 macrumors newbie

400 for a used ipad1 is pretty good? unless this is new, then just do the buy back.

3. lilnyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

I find the low brow offer insulting. It's not a banged up bottom-of-the-line unit. It's the top-of-the-line of the 1st gen, and in excellent condition. Not a scratch anywhere with all of the original packaging.

The only reason I'm getting an offer like that is because I'm selling it so late. That's my fault.

And yes, I will take the company's offer.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'd lower your price a bit since AT&T is selling them for less than what you're asking. If you listed it on eBay or Amazon, you might be able to be surprised by what people will bid, but I've seen a lot of <$500 64GB 3G iPad auctions.

5. tritonj macrumors 6502a

6. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

You have to beat the lowest new or refurb price since you are selling used. I would wager you could get $475 if you're patient.

7. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

Tough sell! I sold my iPad 32 GB for 390. I bought it for 650 in December!!! :(

8. akacaj macrumors regular

akacaj

I am selling the same model as yours on ebay and including the transfer of the Unlimited Data plan. I hope to get 7 to $800 for it. Data plan alone is selling for $400 so my expectations seem reasonable.

9. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I find the the resale value of used iPads less than I had expected. Luckily I sold mine before the iPad2 came out, and before the AT&T deals. I don't remember my Apple laptops taking this kind of resale beating. Of course I do tend to keep them longer.

I think next time around I will sell earlier, or keep the old iPad around. There is no way I would have sold my iPad1 65GB 3G for today's used prices. What a difference a week makes.

On the other hand I'm happy that this may give more people a reason to own a iPad1 if they can pick one up at a great price.

I wonder where all the Gazelle iPads are going and for what price with this kind of killer price spiral?

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

They'll probably take it apart, put it into a clunky box with clunky software, can call it the smoothest Android tablet, with access to actual apps! ;)

11. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

As someone said in another thread, its only worth what people are willing to pay. Yes Apple products usually have a great resale value but there are a few things that are not in your favor...such as the ATT deal for your same exact ipad, the fact that you are WAYYY late trying to sell it, and take a look at your local craigslist its probably flooded with people still trying to sell them. Also when apple dropped the price/price of the refurbs really screwed it up. Its a buyers market for the ipad 1. Many people think that their Apple products only lose 1$ a month in value. Thats not the case at all. Especially with the iPad right now.

12. lilnyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

@ jazz1 - I locked in a good price at Gazelle early. I documented everything so that they can't claim any damage and try to lower the original offer.

13. lilnyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

I'm very good with re-selling my electronics. I keep them in perfect condition for one. People laugh at me when they see my cases, and me cleaning the screen, etc. But those people usually have old electronics that are banged up and worthless. I always have the newest, latest because of a well-timed re-sell of a nearly perfectly conditioned item.

This time I missed the boat. I screwed up. But not too bad because I did lock in a price that's much higher than what it's going for now. I assumed incorrectly that based on the iPhone pre-order system, where you order online but get it on the day it's available in stores. So while this was not a pre-order, I thought it would still ship maybe a couple of days after the 11th so that those who ordered online would get it near the time that those who waited in line did. Wrong. So I was blindsided by this 2-week delay. Moving forward, when Apple has a product without a pre-order option, I will be in line if I can.

And yes, I scouted the going prices on Craigslist/eBay, and they are equal to and some greater than my initial asking price. So I'm not alone.

14. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

^Well at least you realize it. The great thing about being on this forum is we usually have a 1-2 week gap notice of when the next apple event is going to be. You should always be ahead of the game before a great deal of the general public who aren't apple nerds. I think all the price cutting has cut down the price you can get now if you waited to sell it. The original ipad can be found really cheap these days.