Types of stock HDDs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ' r i S e n, May 25, 2011.

1. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

Upon getting into more detail about HDDs, upgrading, etc, I noticed that my stock drive is a Toshiba. I have been hearing a lot about Hitachi and I was reading around and it seems like both preform somewhat equally, but I have found better feedback on the Hitachi.

Were Toshiba HDDs used in every 2010 MacBook Pro as stock drives, or is just a chance as to what brand of storage you receive as a stock?

Also, I have never owned a Toshiba product in my life. So far I believe my HDD is doing a great job, but does anyone have any insight on the long term performance and reliability of Toshiba products - namely hard drives?

Thank you.

2. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Apple and other companies use a various number of hard drives from different companies. Toshibas are good drives and I haven't had any issues with them. Just back up your stuff often and don't worry about it.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

One HDD manufacturer isn't necessarily better than another. On average, they all are about the same.

4. ' r i S e n thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough. ^^;

So they do just randomly toss one in that meets the storage space requirement, regardless of brand? Or do they use one brand for a specific model, etc? Just curious.

Thanks for the replies.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

They probably toss in whatever they have on hand/ample supply when comes the time to put together your computer.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

I am sure they use different companies for the different models of MBPs. Also whatever they can get good deals on.

Before in my early 08" 15", I got a Hitachi drive. On my 15" 11" MBP, i got a Toshiba. I also got a Toshiba on my 13" 2011 machine. The RAM on the new ones are Hynix. The one I received in my 2008 machine was Samsung.

7. ' r i S e n thread starter macrumors regular

It's pretty interesting how they mix it up - I would have assumed that they used the same brands for specific models and such. It makes a lot of sense though considering that they are trying to get good deals on them as you said.