Typical cost of retina Macbook Pro (with Radeon R9 M370X) in America?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chris Sutton, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Chris Sutton macrumors newbie

Chris Sutton

Hi,
    I am in the UK and the cost (as advertised here by Apple) of a retina Macbook Pro i7 (with Radeon R9 M370X) here is £1,999 (which at today's exchange rates is the equivalent of $3,142.)

Can anyone tell me what the actual cost of this laptop is in the USA ?

If there is a huge difference it might even be worth ordering from the USA (even with import duty) or even flying to USA to get one as part of a short stay. Of course there is import duty (if I got stopped!).

Would the warranty / 'Applecare' still apply here ?? i.e if there is a problem would I still be able to take it to an Apple Store or Apple service centre in UK ??

It's a well known fact that UK consumers are ripped off on most tech.

Thanks

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It is $2500

See here (you can access any apple store just add the country code after apple.)

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Remember though that is before sales tax which is charged differently state by state (even town by town in some places).

Our sales tax (VAT) is 20% (way more than anywhere in america but we get the NHS etc) which would put the cost in america at $3000 so actually it's not that much different about £80.

3. mackan1, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015

mackan1 macrumors newbie

mackan1

Remember in the uk they have educational discount. think it is about 15%

2.5GHz Processor
    512 GB Storage

• 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    • 16GB 1600MHz memory
    • 512GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    • Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    • AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory
    • Built-in battery (9 hours)2
    • Force Touch trackpad
    • £1,699.20 (normal price £1,999.00)
    • Free AppleCare for 3 years. (Normal price £279.00)
    • Phone support is a extra £60
    if you wait for back to school promo they nomral give u a apple/itunes vouchers anything from £60-100

if you know a student ask them to buy it for you.

if you ant a student Google "educational apple links" u should then see a result with this in the name address mikewilson. this way still works but bring up an error just click on the store button and away you go.

also i think uni peeps get a bigger discount. i used glasgow Uni one to get the price above.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suspect many other areas in the world will say the same thing. Depending on where you go in the US, the sales tax will be different. For instance in California the sales tax is 7.5% Add in local municipal sales tax and you're talking about a 10% tax rate

5. Dead0k macrumors regular

true.... but there is a tax refund in airports for leaving tourists

Besides, there are couple states with 0% tax.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not familiar with that since I live in the US and I've not had the luxury of traveling abroad. As for states with no sales tax you are correct. I love next to NH and they have no sales tax.

Many people visit NYC and what occurs there is a state and local sales taxes so that certainly can drive up the price.

7. Chris Sutton thread starter macrumors newbie

Chris Sutton

Hi, Thanks for your answer.

The cost of it in America (even in a state with no sales tax) is £410 cheaper than UK. About the cost of a return airfare so it's not really worth going to the trouble of doing it that way.

Your idea of getting a student to buy it is a good one. It could save me about £270 (giving say £30 to the student). My only concern would be that the warranty / Applecare would be in the students name.

If an Apple laptop is resold within the period of the Applecare then I presume the Applecare is transferable to the new owner?? Does anyone know??

I imagine it is. If it is then (if I had to take it back) I could just claim it was resold to me from the student (showing signed receipt as proof)

If not, I can't think of anyway around this unless - if I had to take it back I pretended to be the student that bought it (I'm 50!) so I might have to explain my 'rapid aging' or pretend to be his/her dad (and that we've just moved address too) ;)

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

Three years in store AppleCare service is still free as standard when using higher education student discount. The only thing is you only get one year of phone support. If you want three years of phone support then it's £50 more.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You can get great prices straight from america on ebay. Also you can get great prices on amazon that work out about the same as student discount in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ro+retina+15&rh=i:aps,k:macbook+pro+retina+15

10. Chris Sutton thread starter macrumors newbie

Chris Sutton

Interesting. Thanks

I am presuming the Applecare service would be transferable from the student to me ?? (If I had a sales receipt from the student who bought it for me which would be necessary to keep anyway to prove I hadn't stolen it from him!)

11. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

You don't need a sales receipt and you don't have to be the original owner of the computer to have warranty work done under Applecare.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

the apple care applies to the computer once that has been transferred to you the applecare comes with it.

13. mackan1, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015

mackan1 macrumors newbie

mackan1

sorry you are correct the applecare is free (3 years) it is the phone support at £60
    AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift (Additional Telephone Technical Support)
    For up to three years from your computer's original purchase date, the AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift gives you direct, one-stop access to Apple's award-winning telephone technical support for questions about Apple hardware, Mac OS X, iLife, and iWork.

When you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan and your computer at the same time, you'll be automatically registered in the plan.

APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN UPLIFT MACBOOK PRO (HE CONTRACT) + £60.00

One to One membership
    One to One at the Apple Retail Store will help you do more than you ever thought possible with your new Mac. First, we’ll set up your email, transfer your photos, music, and other files, and show you how to keep everything in sync with iCloud. Then, we’ll work with you to create a curriculum tailored to your goals, learning style, and experience level.

One to One is just £79 for a full year and is available only at the time you buy a new Mac from the Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store.

Important: You will attend all your sessions at an Apple Retail Store, so make sure there's a store near you. Search for Apple Retail Stores in your are

One to One membership - 1 year + £79.99

and yes the apple care stays with the computer do if you sell it. it moved with the computer.