Typical EDGE speeds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gowanis, Jul 24, 2008.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

what do you get for EDGE on a typical day?

I love my phone so much but the experience is just SOUR because EDGE is so damn slow for me. Maybe I'm just in a bad location, but its really awful.

When I look at the average results page at inetworktest.com, the daily results usually show anywhere from 170kbps to 200kbps which I find very hard to believe.

During the week I'm mostly in Jersey City, NJ or traveling there from Monmouth County. If I'm LUCKY, I'll get 100 kbps. Most of the day I get anywhere from 10 kbps (yes 10) to 80 kbps. or no service at all. Its really frustrating !

On the weekend I'm usually in the Central NJ area (Freehold area) and the speeds are better but not great (around 80-100kbps, and once in a blue moon closer to 200).

I'm really missing the Verizon network, but not my Treo.

What's your experience?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I typically get 100kbps. EDGE is supposed to be between 1.5 and 4 times faster than 56K.

Remember that that is kilobits not kilobytes, and technically kibibits (kibi being 1024, and kilo being 1000).

TEG

3. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, all of my numbers are kilobits.

today i ran a few speed tests at lunch and got under 10 kbps a few times. Many times the speed test won't complete because there is no signal at all.

I find it hard to believe that the averages on inetworktest.com are really over 170 kbps every day.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would tend to believe it. When I get into the major Metro areas, where most of the iPhone users are, my speed is usually closer to 200kbps.

TEG

5. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm right across the river from NYC (pretty close). I wonder if Jersey City is just a dead zone.

6. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

You might not be on EDGE the max is around 300 kbps. Might be on GPRS its like 180 kbps max.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I just got 127.5kbps in metro Atlanta about 10 yards inside a building. I think I have gotten near 200k before, but I can't recall.

Of course this explains why my data usage is so low. I don't dare go to any Web sites that aren't designed for mobile. I think the only stuff I usually get over EDGE is e-mail.

8. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Are you in a moving vehicle when you get these slow speeds? If so, then thats the cause of your problem. EDGE doesn't really do too well when handoffs occur often - such as in a moving vehicle.

9. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on a train on my way to work in the morning, but the worst speeds are when I'm just standing in the street in Jersey City. I'm right by Exchange Place which is right on the water directly across from NYC.

10. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

I usually see speeds of 60 kbps to 225 kbps in Middle GA

Ever once in a while when driving back home, I get around 600 - 900 kbps, however, I gotta think that it's impossible to get those speeds, so it's probably some glitch in the system.

BTW: I'm on Edge here. And no, I made sure it wasn't picking up a wifi signal.

11. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, its EDGE I can see the 'E' vs. the square with the dot.

I thought EDGE max was like 237 kbps? If I got 180 I'd be so happy, I get under 20 kbps typically.

12. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

highest i ever recorded was this, it didnt even think it was over edge
    [​IMG]

13. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

No way that EDGE, you make me laugh. That gotta be WiFi not even 3G would get that high in the US

14. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

i swear on my mother that, that is edge, it probably was an error with the site, nonetheless i saved it

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Slowest humanly possible

Edge is absolutely terrible down here

Whatever is barely above "none" is what we have