Typical Lifespan of a MBP HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kdum8, Nov 3, 2008.

1. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

We all know that with a few years of use, a standard spinning Hard Disk drive will wear out and need replacing. But how long is the average lifespan? What should one expect?

I would love to be running a BOINC project, but not if it means saying goodbye to the disk drive two years early.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

A few years, huh?

Tell that to the 160MB hard drive of my LC 575, purchased in 1994.

3. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

wow that is impressive. Has it seen regular use?

My Hard Disks have always seemed to fail after about 5 years. Maybe I am just using them too much.

4. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

I have the Hitachi HTS723225L9SA62 which is a 250GB 7200rpm HDD and they typically have 3 yr warranty. All the laptops I owned from Dell I8600c to XPS M1220 to M1330 had Hitachi drives and one of them ever crashed on me.

Hitachi makes very solid drives. They can however be alittle bit on the noisy side.

If you won't abuse the drive by dropping it or anything like that, it should last you for the life of your macbook.

I wouldn't worry too much since Harddrives are relatively cheap to replace. If you're worried about data loss, you should look into Time Machine :D

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you had a computer when you were 5 years old??? lol

6. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Nothing wrong with that. I have a friend who gave his 2yr son his old laptop to play around with. :D

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea but we are talking 1994 here haha when the internet wasnt like everywhere lol

owell, i get the point Tallest Skil is making. I always anticipate around 5 years or so. But ten again, ihave an imac from 1999-2000 and its still chuggin along...slowly lol

8. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

haha! that's true! I didn't get my first computer until I was 13 or so :D

9. sonictruth macrumors member

I've had no issues with the HDD in my PowerBook G4, which is 5 yrs old this month. It has had daily use, sometimes many hrs per day. (Not that there's necessarily a correlation, but all my HDD failures have occurred in Dell laptops around 2-3 yrs old - this has happened to two work laptops in a row.)