Typing Delay, Jittery windows, etc...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlakTornado, Apr 4, 2008.

1. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Well as of recently, I have noticed that my typing is delayed. As in, I type the word with my keyboard and then it takes a half-second to display it after writing. For example, I will start typing, then three letters appear, then another three, and so on.

Also, when I move windows, I notice a jitteryness to it, as well as when I scroll.

Sounds like something graphic related, but I can watch a DVD or display videos at normal speed perfectly :|

Does anyone know what could be going on? My iMac (Running Leopard 10.5.2 and all software updates, etc.) isn't very old and I'm surprised I'm having a problem like this....

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Check your Keyboard and mouse setting in system preferences.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Can you tell us a bit more about your setup?
    Here is why I ask. If you search for threads I started you'll find something were I say iTunes downloads causes my computer to halt. I am using a PB 1.67ghz with a 128vid card hooked up to a 30" ACD running at max res. While this worked well for about 6 months suddenly life wasn't so great. I lowered my res to something like 1920x1200 and while not 100% perfect when sync'ing with my ATV or downloading from iTunes it did indeed help the issue.

Clearly something was installed that somehow played tribute to my video card. I believe for me I need to reinstall the OS (erase/install) as I've already tried archive/install with no joy.

I am not saying this is your issue, but what you are describing is what I experienced but even worse. I expect worse because my laptop is 3 years old and well, yours isn't. :)

4. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I've found that when I sync with .Mac this can happen.

When I sync with the network at work it can happen too.

Is there anything like that going on? Is time Machine doing a backup at the same time?

If you open Activity Monitor and sort by CPU, can you see anything hogging the CPU?

Cheers.

5. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Sounds like Pram needs reset
    command Shift PR on restart

6. BlakTornado thread starter Guest

BlakTornado

Well my iMac specs are in my sig, so I didn't include in the thread.

Anyway, it's a 20" 2.4GHz iMac with 1GB RAM and a 500GB HDD. The graphics card is a ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory. I just find it odd that

I'll try and have a look at what's using a lot of resources the next time it happens. it goes on and off regularly. I'm hoping it won't result in a re-install, though...

Well I can cross that off. I don't use .Mac. However...

Well it could be network related. Notably, it only really happens when I am using Safari or Adium, as far as I am aware. And normally only a little while after I start using my computer, possibly when it reconnects to my router. Not entirely sure.

It's not Time Machine, though, because I only back-up whenever I turn my hard drive on (to save power, and life of the hard drive when it's not in use) and I haven't done that for about 3 days now :O

But I'll be sure to look out when it next happens... and just as typed that sentence, it lagged a little but that was because I turned my hard drive on (I just remembered to :p) so it COULD always be the CPU hog thing you suggested. I'll be sure to check and also update when I find any news because, well, even if I find out what it is, someone else with the same problem would probably like to know too.

P.S. Does anyone know if WindowServer would do anything that would effect this? I often find it in the "Processes" section of my iStat widget. (See attachment).

Edit: it did it a minute ago and Safari was using 50%, and WindowServer using 13%. Maybe I should switch to FireFox, for not? Could be a Safari problem? It only ever seems to happen when Safari is open.

Attached Files:

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

FWIW you did not post in the iMac forum and so I didn't want to assume it was whatever piece of machinery you have listed in your sig.
    And I don't generally look at sigs. ;)

8. BlakTornado thread starter Guest

BlakTornado

It's ok :)

It's my fault for not being specific anyway.

Well, I think Safari is my probable culprit. It just jumps up to using 50% of the processor randomly...

Either that or WindowServer

9. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

It definitely sounds like Safari is hogging the processor, which is slowing down everything else. Kind of like when you open loads of apps at once and things get delayed.

Do you notice this happening when you visit Flash-based websites?

Also, WindowServer is a normal process. It's nothing to worry about unless it too is at an unusually high percentage.

10. BlakTornado thread starter Guest

BlakTornado

Yes, unfortunately... I like Safari a lot (UI-wise) and that's why I've not switched to FireFox... I just wish Apple would make it more stable. It's a nice browser and all but it needs to stop leaking so much.
    And I recently tried opening all of my apps at once accidentally because of a tip posted on TUAW (I pressed enter instead of space, for QuickLook) and that has caused a bundle of problems I think. Partially, maybe, why my iMac was playing up now.

And it was while Viewing Macrumors. Nothing special.

Ok thanks. Well, I've zapped the PRAM and everything seems to be safe and sound again. I think my recent escapade with trying to open 80 apps at once confused the poor the thing. Macs may be virus-proof but they're not fool-proof... sadly!

Thanks for all your help, everyone. Greatly appreciated.