Typing improved on iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cinca, Mar 24, 2011.

1. cinca macrumors regular

A random (but specific) question for anyone with an opinion and a moment to share it....

An occasional issue I have with my iPad (1) and iphone (4) is that the device slows down and stutters a bit and my typing ends up s-t-ag-g-e-ri-n-g as I type.

It most frequently happens with I am in something like google maps and there is (I suspect) something going on "under the hood" with a data transfer for traffic or updating the graphic map... But it also will occasionally happen when I am tapping up an email or writing a response to this very forum. (I.e. Something where there is little in the way of background tasks massively bogging down the system)

The problem with this non-smooth typing response is that it will make my sometimes frequent need for correction much more difficult -- throwing me off my quick two taps on the delete button or having me realize a moment too late to make a quick correction that a word stuttered out onto the screen with a typo..

So.. For all your iPad 2 owners (especially for those that are maybe relating my my typing experience on the original iPad):

Have you found any improvements SPECIFICALLY with typing on your iPad? Obviously the design of the onscreen keyboard and the software related to typing or the same on both new and old ipad.. But maybe there are subtle differences with the hardware screen sensitivity that make typing better / easier..? Does the increased performance of the Ipad 2 eliminate the random st-u-tt-e-r-r-in-g that would occasionally show up when quickly tapping out something o the ipad 1??

Any and all opinions welcome... (including telling me I am crazy or imagining things or there is something wacked out with my ipad 1... or that I should just type better)...

P.S. What is it with the iPad always getting confused with not consistently seeming to know that whenever i enter an 'i' followed with a space, that it should be an upper case I. Like it worked just then but not when i enter it just now. :-/ pleases tell me it doesn't just work when you end a sentence with I. See, right there i ended a sentence with i but when I put it in this sentence several times i notice it is inconsistently making the I upper and lower case. :(

Thanks..!

2. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

No its the same. Ive had that problem to but its not often so didnt really care much.

3. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

4. EdwardMoffet macrumors member

The hardware is the same as ipad 1 in relation to the touchscreen but I don't think it's actually the problem with responsiveness because the screen uses electrical currents, it's not pressure sensitive. It's how fast it can process you typing (how quickly it can take the input from the screen and carry out the proper function) and I think, with the ipad 2, the dual core processor may help in that regard. I don't own one yet, this is just my educated guess based on what I know about computers.

Really though, if typing is a big thing (blogging, writing papers, etc.) I suggest getting a bluetooth keyboard, or if you get the usb port camera kit attachment you can use a usb keyboard. That's what I'm going to do. It will be much more comfortable to type with an actual keyboard anyway because you can rest your hands on the keys, they makes some really light and thin ones too that aren't bad at all to travel with, there's even ones that fold up, they're not quite as nice to type on, but they're very portable.

5. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

One of the most annoying things about the original iPad (which I still have by the way) is the lag you get when you start typing anything. Some apps are worse than others. But with the new iPad it is vastly improved and snappier. I rarely get any lag any more and I find typing on the keyboard to be a much improved and responsive experience.

6. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

You're not crazy. I do a serious amount of typing on my iPad and get the st-u-tt-e-r-in-g often enough to be annoying. I don't recall it happening on 3.2, it only seemed to come along with 4.0 and has lingered since then.

I am lining up tomorrow in Canada, I'll let you know after that, but I doubt I'll see any difference. Perhaps iOS5 may add an improvement in this area.

P.S. I get the 'i' thing, too. Also annoying. It seems to occur more frequently the quicker I am typing.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

My iPad 2's keyboard is WAY better.

My iPad 1 keyboard would become delayed while typing. Sometimes it would catch up what was buffered and other times it would just miss what I was typing.

The iPad 2 keyboard is instant and never has this problem. Greatly improved in my opinion. Overall the iPad 2 seems much more responsive to me with the Internet gaining the most!

8. cinca thread starter macrumors regular

I do own the apple bluetooth keyboard and try and pack it when i know (ugh there is that lower case I again.. Oh wait upper case I this time!) I will be typing quite a bit.. However, as I am frequently pulling out my ipad to do something spontaneous and enjoy the benefits of its portability and instant on... the time to take out and sync up a bluetooth keyboard or just the need to lug one around really limits the spontaneity of the device. Even with the occasional hiccup I do like the onscreen keyboard as even a primary typing input device -- and (me personally) would (most of the time) trade it's disadvantages over the disadvantages of lugging around and having to set up a Bluetooth keyboard.

9. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Just wondering if anyone Touch Types on their iPad or if its all hunting and pecking?

Last gen I just couldnt do it. But now that I'm trying to use the iPad for doing real work then I'm forcing myself to quit two finger typing and type "naturally". It's tough but the thing that really is helping is the smart cover because the elevation seems to be just right.

10. cinca thread starter macrumors regular

I do a combination of both. My hand placement isn't quite touch-typing but my fingers a similarly working the entire keyboard. The one big difference i notice typing this right now is that my dominant (right) hand is much more easily working its side of the keyboard while m y left hand is operating in a bit of a hunt and peck mode. Your post has me wondering if i, too, should make more of an effort to touch type. Hmm.. I wonder if there is a touch typing (or just typing) game or practice app that i could spend 10-15 mins a day playing with to get my habits a little more in line with my physical keyboarding skills..

I absolutely agree that using a case or smart cover that elevates the ipad and gives you a bit of an angle makes a huge difference with typing.. Its probably the biggest factor i think about when considering different case options. While i like the look of a some of those portfolio or book cases if they don't provide the functionality of a typing angle its a no-go for me.

11. EdwardMoffet macrumors member

Yeah I understand. What I would do if I wanted to quickly type something while I was on a bus, or where it is't really feasible to pull out and sync a bluetooth keyboard, would be to just jot down some quick notes that I could reference later when I could REALLY type rather than trying to type a huge portion of a blog or whatever RIGHT there. Though that is more of a work around than a solution.

My advice would be to go to bestbuy or an apple store and try out the ipad 2 and see how it types. My guess would be that it is somewhat better because of the additional processing power.

12. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Mavis Beacon was there to reach us to type a decade ago on computers, but where is she now? ;)

Seriously though, im not very happy with Apples current text input options.
    - Bluetooth Keyboard is nice to have but if I have to carry around a keyboard then I might as well use a laptop.

- Voice Input. I really am surprised at how stagnant Apple has been in this category considering a decade ago they had such a large leap on voice. But in my short time with Android then I'm seeing Google is the one that's recognizing that your voice is a great input device. I was doing voice dictation for texting, email, opening apps, maps/gps. I just don't get why Apple is choosing not to go this direction.

- No Swype. Swype really needs to be used for a solid week to be appreciated. I remember seeing an Android commercial for Swype and thought it looks ridiculous. But then I started using it on an android phone and I was typing at ridiculous speeds (for a phone). It's the thing I miss most about returning my Android phone but I'm really hoping it ends up on iOS as an option.

13. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Until Apple catches up, the Dragon Dictation app is free and does a good job for text/emails.

14. PadJunkie macrumors member

+1

I had this problem constantly on the original iPad. iPad 2 is much improved, although there is occasionally still a very slight "tug".

15. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Extended typing on an iPad is like taking a shower with your clothes on.

16. cinca thread starter macrumors regular

For those stumbling upon this thread.. I am the original poster. I have since purchased an ipad2 and am happy to report the typing is much much better. For those curious... No noticeable stuttering or slow down. I can tap away at the keyboard and the response of the typing remains steadily responsive.